Premed 101 Forums

Dinner after the financial info session

Guest soapyslicer

Guest soapyslicer

Hi Everyone,

Anyone interested in having dinner after the info session on the 15 of June? Or meet for coffee before?

soapy

Guest Tara191

Hi Guys!

When and where is this financial meeting supposed to take place? I actually haven't heard of it before. Could you share the details please?

Thanks!!

Guest physiology

Hey Soapy, 4everRose..

Count me in!

Tara,

THE PRELIMINARY info that Rosemary McCutcheon gave me was:

Financial Info Session

June 15th - 5-6 pm at the VGH B-Hall.

This is the SAME stuffy, incommodious location in which we had our orientation.

Wait for her email - as this will confirm the date and time.

OH, any suggestions for dinner? I suggest something trendy (and cheap...), but not anything too commercialized (Cactus Club, Milestones, Whitespot, etc)

Guest 4EverRose

Hi Tara191,

I actually got an email from UBC today regarding the financial information - the sender is 'Admission MD' and the email subject is 'UBC MEDICINE - Financial Assistance Info'. Inside the email is the time/location of the seminar plus a bunch of links to loans/scholarships/bursaries information. I think this email is sent to all the potential MD students for this September so you should get it too :)

Guest Kels2004

For those who did not get the email, I thought I would post it here:

Good afternoon,

As a potential "Class of 2008" UBC medical undergraduate student, I would like to bring the following information to your attention:

I will be holding a student financial assistance seminar on Tuesday, June 15th, 2004, from 5 to 6pm, which will cover the following programs as well as other student financial assistance topics. The seminar will be held at B Hall, 2773 Heather Street, Vancouver.

Topics to be discussed:

The BC Student Assistance Program (BCSAP) is now accepting online applications for student loans from BC residents. It is suggested that you apply for government student loans by June 30th in order to have funding in place for the fall. You can apply online at: www.aved.gov.bc.ca/studentservices/. If you are from another province and are not eligible for BC Government Student Loans, you can find your home province's student loan centre at: www.canlearn.ca/nslsc/out...oterr.cfm.

Students admitted to the MD program at UBC will be automatically considered for UBC Faculty of Medicine scholarships. No student applications are required. UBC Affiliation Scholarships do require student application, which are available online at: students.ubc.ca/finance/a...filiation. These scholarships must be applied for by June 30th. Other potential sources of scholarship funding can be found at: www.med.ubc.ca/md/financi...ships.htm.

The Royal Bank is offering five entrance scholarships to medical and dental students across Canada. The application can be found online at: www.rbcroyalbank.com/stud...ship.html.

UBC Affiliation Bursaries are also available and require student application by June 30th. The applications can be found online at: students.ubc.ca/finance/b...ation.cfm. The UBC General Bursary Program has a further application which will be available in September.

If you will be outside the Vancouver area over the next couple of months and unable to meet with me or attend the seminar but would still like to discuss your financial assistance options, please note that you can reach me toll free at 1-877-875-7800 (Canada wide).

Rosemary McCutcheon

Student Financial Assistance Officer

Dean's Office, Undergraduate Education

Faculty of Medicine

Vancouver General Hospital

3250-910 West 10th Ave.

Vancouver, BC V5Z 4E3

Tel. 604-875-5834

Toll free: 1-877-875-7800

Fax: 604-875-5611

Rosemary.McCutcheon@ubc.ca http://www.med.ubc.ca/md/FinancialAssistance

Guest northpole

Hey there,

I'd love to meet up with you guys after the info session on the 15th!

Soapy-- I got your message in my EZbox. I could meet for coffee beforehand if it were after 4 sometime (I work full-time downtown so I wouldn't want to leave too too early!)--- otherwise we can do a dinner after (I think that'd be more fun!)

But I'm pretty easy...

Ooooh- we could go somewhere interesting like the Afghan Horsemen (that's on Cambie and Broadway).

Northpole.:D

Guest Miller

Daimatsu is a really good sushi place that has a late night special starting at 9pm. The sushi is great for the price. The place is just of broadway and Cambie, behind the McDonalds in the little mall. Just a suggestion. Ooo cheap beer too!

Guest soapyslicer

So dinner it is, now we just have to decide on a place. Why don't we pick something that has a wide variety for people to choose from - ie veggie to carnavores. We certainly have a wide variety to choose from so lets just throw out ideas and come to a consensus closer to the day.

I don't get out all that much so I am not the one to pick. Also not that fussy so happy to go with whatever other feel like.

soapy

Guest physiology

EVERYONE who posts on this board should come!

I really want to put faces to all the nicks!

You gotta admit, all of you are just as curious as I am :)

Guest Kels2004

I know what you mean, physiology! But, I'm an out-of-towner, so hopefully someone will post the details of the finances meeting on the board so we can keep up to date! That would be great :)

See ya all in August

K

Guest nsxboyz

What time and where do you guys plan to meet? I don't actually get off the plane until 6:30pm, so if you guys are going to be there for a while, maybe I could show up a little bit late? It'd be great to finally put a face to all the usernames on this board!

Guest Pashmina

Northpole,

I really like your idea of the Afghan Horseman. Not to be buyous in anyway (since I'm Afghan) but I go there a lot and for anyone who hasn't been there, you gotta try it! Plus, as you mentioned, it's walking distance from VGH. The only thing is, we may need to make reservations since it sounds like there will be lots of us. If I have a head count, I can go ahead and do that.

Guest Pashmina

No prob physiology.

So, I guess I'll keep a count of everyone who can make it and make reservations as the day gets closer (???). We're gonna have a blast. I can't wait to meet everyone. Hope to see you all there.

Guest northpole

Hi Pashmina,

I'd love to come along too! Thank you for making the reservation. Yes, it's a really fun place to go (especially with lots of people-- the room with all the cushions is the best for when your full of yummy food!)

Can you count me + 1? (it's for another friend who's in the program with us)

thank you again,

Northpole

Guest physiology

What is Afghan food like? I love trying new things so I'm kinda excited about this.

Is it similar to Persian food? BTW, I saw the movie Kandahar with a Persian friend (from Tehran) and he could not understand Afghani Farsi. Pashmina, is it because there are different dialects or accents?

Archived