Premed 101 Forums

Clerkship essentials

Guest JSS02

Guest UWOMED2005

I'm a big PDA fan. In fact, I've got all the small textbooks (ie Tarascon's Pharmacopeia) on my PDA as I find I can search them faster on the PDA then flip through pages.

But my PDA is mostly used for just Tarascon.

I think it really depends on personal preference. And how fast your PDA is. . . some of the old-school PDAs take a long while to load programs!

Guest medicator007

I do actually have a PDA, which I keep with me, but mostly for use an agenda and the odd perusal of 5MCC, dorland's or some other program.

With regards to speed... Ipersonally find I can look up a drug in Tarascon's faster than someone can bring it up on their PDA. In fact a resident and myself once went toe to toe on this for a week. I had my Tarascon's in my pocket and he had his palm in his. As soon as someone on rounds asked "what is the dosing (...etc) on Drug X" we'd race to see who could correctly answer the question first. I won all but two times; one drug wasn't in my tarascon's (grrr...) and the other time out of frustration he smacked the book out of my hands. I know this is hardly a well designed study, but i PERSONALLY prefer my tarascon's for drug ordering.

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest UWOMED2005
one drug wasn't in my tarascon's

That's my best argument for using the PDA. I find the electronic Tarascon's more reliable in terms of having drugs. . . and if that doesn't work, I can always check in Epocrates or Lexidrugs. . . which seems to be the most detailed.

Tarascon's PDA version also includes way more info about side effects, renal dosing, etc. It's better to have that info on you and not use it than vice-versa.

I use a couple of the other programs as well. I have a neat ICU math program that I usually only use to get corrected Calciums, but on some rotations is useful for other stuff. I'm a a big fan of the algorithms, particular the C-Spine clearance rules and Pneumocalc, available on Tim Allen's site at http://www.fppda.com. And if I can't remember a complete differential for a problem, Dxsaurus is not useful to form differentials but can be useful as a memory jog.

I do notice less classmates using their PDAs at the end of the year than last September when we began. Then again, some classmates were referring to 5MCC every time they were referred a patient.

Guest medicator007

I agree that overall the PDA based drug references are more complete and I do keep them on my palm and i do keep my palm on me, but for the most part I use my pocketbook for drug checks and will only default to my PDA as needed.

I think PDAs are a great medical tool, but I do have to say that now that I am more experienced in clinical medicine i use it less and less.

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest endingsoon

Yeah I agree that a medical pharm. reference on PDA is the way to go. Other than that, I cannot remember the last time I loaded up Dignaosarus or 5MCC...its just taking up room.

I love the palm references for meds b.c they always have more comprehensive lisitings for side effects and stuff (Lexi drugs) and cover tons of herbals and stuff that the pocket book neglects. And as UWOMED said, if you have a newer palm it doesn't take 25 mins to load.

I have also done away with the reflex hammer for now and am using the good 'ol stethescope edge. Other than that you need a copy of pocket medicine with some additional paper to take notes on and some cue cards.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest Ian Wong

I floated up some old listings of pocketbooks and textbooks that I found handy for each clinical rotation. Those listings are in the Textbook and Equipment reviews forum here:

p084.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm32

For those currently in clerkships and past clerkships, if you have any recommendations or questions on textbooks for each rotation, please direct them there. :)

Ian

Guest cheech10

Currently just have the Sanford guide and Pocket Medicine, a reflex hammer, a penlight on my stethoscope, and PDA for epocrates. For the beginning clerk, I would also recommend Maxwell's Quick Medical Reference, which has sample note formats, a listing of common physical exam maneuvers and history points, and an eye chart, dermatome/peripheral nerve map, ACLS protocols, and normal lab values (traditional units, unfortunately). A nice security blanket to fall back on as needed to fight the initial insecurity of the wards. There is always a computer available with UpToDate for more in depth reading, also usually not necessary for day to day work.

Guest cybernish

Hey there Mying ! Some great info there. Im just going to be starting med school (first year) next week. So of course I'm quite the green-horn... I'm wondering where to find all this free stuff.... I would also appreciate any med school, money and time saving advice from anybody. Ie. what books or equipment to avoid that usually are recommended to buy but rarely used etc.

Many Thanks

Cybernish

• 11 months later...

Well, I'm 25% into my first rotation, pediatrics, I found my PDA with 5 min peds consult to be quite helpful, and DrDrugs also. For reading, Toronto notes, and Nelson's Essential's and maybe blueprints, I only have the former two.

Bring paper, a little notebook that fits in the pocket of a shirt, pens, some food like a granola bars...

Bring your smile, even when you wake up at night for a late admission, and the joy of reviewing with your senior just before 4AM...

Bring the essential like a reflex hammer, a penlight, and stethoscope...the rest is around for you to use...or at least where I am.

noncestvrai

• 5 years later...

Medscape has a very solid app. It's a free download, then you update it to get the extra content (also free). Covers conditions, treatments, drugs and procedures quite well.

My other go to app is epocrates ($). But I find it quicker to use than medscape.

If something is complex, or I wanna double check, I use both.

Pocket medicine by Sabatine is also clutch. I still use my copy as a non internal resident on a regular basis.

Most of my reading/studying was T. Notes and the NMS books. Used USMLE world for a qbank.

Archived