Premed 101 Forums

Advice about electives.....

Guest Valani9

Guest Valani9

hey guys - any input from upper-year folks would be much appreciated.

How early should one start to book his/her electives? I've heard 6-8 months is a good window. But I'm going for semi-competitive electives, and I want to be sure I get them. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Guest cutieyellow

I think it depends on the school. You should check out the websites.

McGill for eg. requires a minimum of 4 months (w/ a penalty fee if it's btw 4 and 2 months and not accepted if it's less than 2 months) and a MAXIMUM of 6 months prior. If it's before 6 months, they won't open your application. Other schools i've looked at require only 3 months prior. All in all, check out the schools you want to apply at, it will usually say! I think personally that 8 mths is a longgggggg time...but...as i have not checked out ALL the medical schools, i can't say for sure that it's too early.

CY

Guest UWOMED2005

It varies hugely school to school and program to program.

I tried to start organizing electives in November of 2003 for the fall (Sept - Nov) of 2004. But many weren't booked until later. And I know I could have easily switched.

As long as you're booking far enough in advance, you can always switch out if you change your mind!

Guest therealcrackers

Most schools have a similar policy to McGill; a minimum and maximum time frame for setting up outside electives. At U of T it's a minimum of four months, and a maximum of none months' lead time before the start date of your elective. I think McMaster starts the elective process for the following school year after February 1st, and Calgary has something similar (I think it's Feb 15th???). Check with the medical electives office of each of the schools where you want to do an elective; in some cases, if you don't find out early, the spots for electives may already be full (that happened to me in Calgary with SIX months still to go --- had to scramble to get something arranged, but it worked out).

Guest UWOMED2005

I'd like to add that often talking DIRECTLY TO THE DEPARTMENTS (ie programs) rather than admin bodies can make a difference.

Sometimes things will be 'full' according to admin, but if the programs want to see you, they'll often figure out a way.

• 2 months later...

Archived