Premed 101 Forums

Microbiology vs Biochemistry ?

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

I know this topic is not related to med schools, but I am under the impression that some people here did a degree in Microbio or Biochem or know something about it from friends.

What are the differences between these two major? I heard Microbiology emphasizes on living thing at cellular level, wherease Biochemistry emphasizes more at molecular level.

It will be nice if someone can tell me what what will I expect to learning in Biochem or Microbio once I enroll in 3rd in UBC?

Hope this will provide me some information to which major I would enjoy the most. Thanx!

Guest threeputt

I can't speak too much for biochem, but i will tell you about micro. it has a lot to do with bacterial metabolism as it relates to biotechnology, human disease, environment, and general cell biology. there are also very popular courses in virology and immunolgy.

i imagine bioc is more intensive when it comes to studying detailed reactions of metabolic pathways (ie-knowing which enzymes catalyze each rxn, exact structures of reactants/products etc.) micb also involved a lot of molecular work, but probably at a more general level - not so much structures and pathways, but a lot of names of different cellular molecules that interact btwn host-pathogen for instance. i think micb may be a little more "applied science", as it involves a lot of the topics i mentioned earlier and how these are affected in the real world or how we can use microorganisms to our advantage.

labs involve a lot of microbial techniques (sterile technique, bacterial identification, enzyme assays etc.) and later (4th yr), a lot of molecular biology (pcr, southern blot, dna extraction...) which is quite useful if you need a job btwn yrs of applying for meds! Also co-op is a great opportunity, and will really bolster your CV if you need to find work later on. i believe bioc also has co-op.

both programs require a lot of the same core courses (basic cell bio, basic micro, genetics, orgo) and offer some flexibility, so even if you find you like courses from the other program better, you can probably tailor your program to what you really enjoy. i did not regret for one instant going into micro, and i am sure many in biochem feel the same way. i graduated some 5 years ago though, so some stuff may have changed.

HTH

Guest Jazz

I am a biochem grad. Like the post above mentioned, we had to memorize tons of pathways in third yr, the structures of reactants/products, enzyme names, mechanism, etc. If you can memorize, you will do well and understanding the material in depth will get you the top marks. I must say that while no program will help you get into med more so than the other, microbio probably is more related to medicine than biochem. A couple of my "pre-med" classmates didn't particularly like the amount of memorizing involved in biochem and lack of medicine related applications in the material. Having said that, I would not hesitate to pick biochem again. I found most of the curriculum interesting, the professors are very well organized in the lectures/notes and supportive of my med application. I also liked the larger class size, and it seems less time consuming than physiology/pharmacology.

Guest kupo

it's up to you smooth,

think about what you like and pursue it. I am in MICB and IMM and got loads of Co-op and lab experience.

But you can get the same with BIOC. A lot of co-op people that I know and have met (if you are interested int eh CO-OP program) were biochem students.

I must admit, a lot of MICB that I learned is more general than BIOCHEM. Nevertheless, both are good programs at UBC. There should be enough electives for you to overlap course topis from both departments if you like.

I was lucky though, when I entered (1999) the requirements for me entering MICB in 2001 were far more flexible. You are now forced to take MICB324 as a MICB student (in addition to other restrictions), which I heard is a brutal course. Lots to learn, too much to remember any of it. Other than that, all other MICB courses are pretty good.

Kupo

Guest smooth operater

hey thanx for the guys!

It seems that I will get more lab experience in Microbio. I don't mind that, cuz with more lab experience, I probably have better opportunites to work in research lab for $ than biochem. I don't plan to do co-op during my undergrad yet for now.

But, I am wondering does 3rd and 4th Biochem courses require lots of calculation like 1st and 2nd yr physical chemistry? Or 3 and 4th biochem courses are really different?

Guest physiology

Hey,

BIOC 301 the lab course that everyone in bioc takes is tough. It has lots of calculations. However, you are shown how to do them. But know them VERY well for the midterm and final exams!

Guest Biochem3010

Well actually if you check more carefully, biochem has much more lab work and a variety of them in comparison to microbi. You have your organic, physical chem, & biochem labs in 3rd year besides just microbi. Biochem courses don't really have any math besides the 301 lab and the 3rd year Physical chem courses/labs where there are a lot of tedious Excel work & other complex calc's that makes 1st/2nd year labs seem like a joke. Bioc 403 is an enzyme kinetics course where you do all those boring enzyme rate calculations.

If you really want to do research, i would recommend biochem cuz you are exposed more to the different fields unless you are a die hard microbi/immunology bacteria guy. However, biochem is more indepth & detailed, whether that is a good or bad thing to you. However in microbi, there's a lot more space for electives to take or do whatever you want.

Guest McCarey007

You'll get what you want out of either majors. To be honest, if lab work/research is your emphasis, you need to do directed studies, summer research or co-op. Lab courses, no matter how good they are, will not teach you what you need to know for "real research."

The micro 4th year labs required lots of calculations. At least it did last year and those calculations were a nightmare. It was spreadsheet-galore! But after numerous complaints from students, I think it got a wee be less labor intensive this year. The last lab course was also entirely group based.

Archived