Premed 101 Forums

Sony Clié - N760C

Guest PeterHill0501

Guest PeterHill0501

If anybody is looking for an amazing PDA, I would highly recommend the N760C. Although somewhat expensive (approx. 700 bucks with tax) in addition to a wicked colour display, and all the other regular Palm OS features (i.e., it uses Palm OS), it also sports the ability to play MP3s, and ditigal movies...the latter could be a very useful tool for anatomy class...you do have to purchase the camera module to enable video capture, of course, but I suspect this could also, without using video, double as a dictation machine...very handy I would think. I believe the video module is an additional 200 bucks...

Peter

P.S. They also have more basic units selling for about 400 bucks...these, in my opinion, are way more bang for the buck than the Palm products.

Guest James Wong

Hey Peter,

Remember my Palm/wallet that I showed you? I lost it last Thursday when I came back for graduation. I think I left it on the Voyageur bus and somebody must have pocketed it since they never found it. Sucks don`t it? I guess I`m gonna have to find myself another PDA some time soon. Mo money! :(

James

Guest PeterHill0501

Ah...man...I had mine stolen just prior to being laid off from Nortel...as it turns out it was a good thing...you should seriously consider the Clié line...

I'm so happy to hear about your and mn's acceptances...I'll be back again next year!

In the mean time...be sure to let people know I'm a good guy...balanced...smart... smile... if that it what you believe!

Peter

P.S. MN et moi se fatiguent de vous attendre pour retourner de votre excursion française d'immersion… obtiennent vos fesses anglaises de nouveau à Ottawa où elle appartient… arrêt se dupant dans vous penser peut devenir une francophone… et être prête pour de la grande nourriture, encore une meilleure amitié et à beaucoup… beaucoup de boissons de célébrer le fait que vous tous les deux avez été reçu à l'université d'Ottawa…call me on my cell when you get home...I'll e-mail you my number just in case you don't have it handy...

Peter

Guest James Wong

Peter,

Je reviendrai cet vendredi et je serai prête pour prendre une verre (ou plusieurs) avec toi et MN si ca vous interressez. Je quitterai le pays le 26 juin pour Europe, donc nous devrions recontré avant le 21.

A tout à l`heure,

James

Guest PeterHill0501

James,

Je suis heureux d'entendre que vous reviendrez à Ottawa ce vendredi. J'aimerai avoir Mary et toi chez moi pour des rafraîchissements ce "week-end", cependant, j'ai mes enfants. N'importe quelle soirée du lundi, juin 17 à travers à et incluant jeudi, juin 20, serait bon pour moi. Parles, s'il te plaît, avec Mary et faites-moi savoir quelle soirée serait la meilleure pour vous deux.

D'ailleurs, vendredi le 21 juin serait également bon pour moi, cependant, je crois qu'il ne s'adapterait pas dans votre horaire… est ce correct? Svp faites-moi savoir…

Peter

Guest UWOMED2005

Eh, James et Peter. . . je serai en Ottawa cette Vendredi aussi. Je ne sais pas, mais the pense que je pars pour la ville Quebec samedi, mais peut-être pas.

Guest PeterHill0501

Hey UWOMed2005...why don't you plan on joining us? James, MN, what do you think about friday evening...my place? If not, James, MN and I could get together on another day and UWOMED2005, you, MN and I (or just you and I if MN and James aren't available) could get together on Friday evening...what do you think? James, UWOMED2005, MN, please email me (click on my login name to get my address to arrange.

I would like to add...I take pride in my "chefery"...as opposed to James' liking of "eateries"...I will be serving some wicked munchies (sorry James...I'll keep bugging you about this one until you give up the eateries)...as well as pretty much anything alcoholic or non-alcoholic you would like...I specialize in interesting martinis though... :)

I look forward to hearing from you guys (guys...in the generic sense of the word).

Peter

Guest James Wong

Hey Peter,

I`d love to drop by...I`ll email you time and address....would you mind if I invited Krista? You know, I should probably ask her if she wants to come first...I`ll get back to you via email.

Mr. Rader, will you be there?

James

Guest tommygirl

Hey Peter,

Sorry to interrupt this :) .... but I have a PDA question for you, Peter!

I know you recommend Sony's over Palms for PDA, if soley for the inflated price of Palms (right?).

... but what do you think of the lower level Sony PDA? It doesn't (seem) to have model #-- noted from just browsing the flyer-- and sells for about 290/low $300s. Is this lower model still a good buy?

Otherwise could you recommend some PDAs I should consider around that price range? Peter, I am not looking for anything fancy-- just for the day book/ address book applications and to run my epocrates on it.

Thanks for your help,

Sidney

Guest PeterHill0501

Sidney,

I would highly recommend the Peg T-415. I had one prior to purchasing the one I have now. The 415 is great...the only reason I purchased the N760C was for the "c" (i.e., colour) and also for the MP3 capability...in the short run quite luxurious characteristics as opposed to required functionality.

The 415 is great...it's got the ability to add memory sticks...plenty of internal memory, great price...nice and slim to fit in a pocket, etc and the display has very good contrast and resolution compared with other similarly priced products.

Don't get me wrong, Palm products are fine...I just personally find the form factor doesn't fit my mobility/pocketability needs and the price is over what I personally find acceptable for the functionality.

The 415 (and all Sony Clies) use the Palm OS...so there's no operational difference.

If you would like further info please feel free to e-mail me directly or post here.

Hey, did you get accepted somewhere? If so where? If so CONGRATLATIONS!

Peter

Guest tommygirl

hey Peter!

Thanks for the valuable info. I think I'll go with that then.

I got accepted to a couple of places Queens, UC, UWO, UT and McGill.

I chose to go with UC b/c I am a western girl (as in provincal vs. the uni) and I love that Alberta beef! Ha! Ha!

Actually, my first choice is UA but they are being notoriously slow and inefficent about getting back to their applicants. I fought the system here in undergrad AND Grad school too. yuck.

Anyway, Peter, RE: your situation. I've been meaning to say this for while: Ottawa screwed up w. your case this year. Therefore, if you apply again -I really think you are a shoo in. And, I am not just saying this for the comfort/sympathy effect.

I think if you had applied to multiple schools you would have definately had an acceptance. With one school-- I know b/c I've done this b/f-- you are really putting your faith in their system. Sometimes they mess up and reject good candidates.

Take it easy,

S

Guest monkey

hi guys,

i've been trying to keep up with the whole discussion on PDA, and my question is: why do you need PDA's in med school? is it a sort of day-timer gone digital? just curious, 'tis all!

Cheers!

Guest PeterHill0501

First of all...assuming you're female...I'd give you a big hug and kiss if I could...you're very sweet...even if you're male (tease)...

I've done quite a bit of introspection over the last few weeks and realize I could have done a significantly better job during my interview...

...I personally believe this year is primarily a test...a test to see whether I'm really interested in medicine or whether medicine was just a "flash in the pan"...a scramble to find work after having been laid off from Nortel...

Whether I'm a "shoe-in" is certainly up for debate...however, my intentions are honest, I'm motivated and devoted to the sacrifice, devotion and lifestyle...I think I'm a reasonably nice guy...and, perhaps, not too dumb either...

Thanks so much again...I'm sorry I won't be in your class this year...

Peter

Guest UWOMED2005

At Western (keep me updated on your decision, BTW!!) I believe most of the clerks (3rd years) have PDAs, but I'd say only somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 the first years have one. My plan is to buy on next December, as that leaves some time for newer models/fall in prices but also time for me to figure out how to play MP3s :) on my new toy by the beginning of clerkship.

And BTW James and Peter. . . will try to make out tomorrow night but I don't have much time in Ottawa. I'll be calling Peter tomorrow.

Guest tommygirl

Hey guys!

Peter: I am a girl. Hugs and kisses are definately welcome :lol

Monkey: I am basing this advice on my friends' habits. Most of them didn't buy PDAs until they hit wards-- UGME3 and 4. They said even then, they used it only sporadically-- to check drug dosing info (ie. epocrates) or update them on procedures (5min clinical consult), at most.

So you definately don't NEED one. I find that it is a handy and consistent way to have all my info on me-- ie. phone#, addresses, appointments etc etc without having to change/recopy info each calendar year.

Can I just add: (off topic) as an Albertan (aka hockey heartland) I really want detroit to bury Carolina tonight. I NEVER want to see another expansion team from a Southern state beat 2 (!) original 6 Canadian teams in a playoff series again. (step off soap box now)

Guest PeterHill0501

Tommygirl...

...the other thing to think about with respect to usefulness of a PDA is the documents/sheets/presentations-to-go functionality as well as the web clipping function. When you get your PDA you get a "lite" version of these...by upgrading for 25 bucks you get the full-blown version from Dataviz...it's a wonderful addon in that all the text-based info from your computer is also portable for studying, etc. I would add that the particular Clie I have would be great for meds with the camera attachment...you could be taking pictures of things...annotating them...for your reference later when looking things up in texts, etc. I'm sure you'd have to get patient consent to do so...probably not cadaver consent during anatomy class though...

Peter

Guest Champ

Just bought the SONY NR 70V here in the UK. TFT screen with Palm 4.1 OS

It is amazing. Totally satisfied. Mini-qwerty keyboard is great plus alot of ther useful features, including a digital camera for putting pix in you address book.

A bit expensive, but IMO, miles above the PALM 515.

Champ

Guest tommygirl

Peter,

Is Datavidz a program I buy or it comes in the next model (model that is >T4-15)?

I am glad you told me about this. I wan't aware of it before.

Sidney

Guest tommygirl

I just re-read that post. Clearly I decided to type that WITHOUT using my frontal lobe...

that should read:

"Dataviz" and "wasn't" in the appropriate places...

Guest PeterHill0501

Dataviz is actually a company that produces the software "documents-to-go"...when you buy your clie you get the "lite" version with it...in your package there will be an update certificate for an on-line upgrade to the full-blown package which includes the ability to download and modify powerpoint presentation and also provides a few other functions. It's well worth the 25 bucks.

Peter

Guest PeterHill0501

Champ...you dog...in retrospect, I should really have gone that way as well...however, at the time the extra 300 bucks seemed excessive...the price on the NR70V is 1000 dollars canadian and the N760C (the model below it) is 700. Now, I'm going to end up spending that anyway as I plan on purchasing the digital camera module...darn...anyway, I love my N760C and, without the camera module, it's actually a bit more pocketable/handleable...

Peter

• 3 years later...

Archived