Premed 101 Forums

Fourth year GPA - does it matter?

Guest pinkmango2005

Guest pinkmango2005

Hi! I'm in my fourth year at the U of A right now (graduating in April). I already had my interview at the U of A (February) but I was wondering if my marks this year/semester will be used in any way for my application. Does my GPA this semester matter for admission or do they only consider our grades up to third year?

For example, if I do well this year (say i end up with a 4.0 after my finals at the end of the month) could I use that to replace my first year GPA (3.8) which was lower or have they already chosen the marks they are going to use for our applications (i.e. I know U of A will get rid of your lowest year). Is the only thing that can change our rankings now our interview scores? Just wondering. Any clarification would be great! Thanks!

Guest Koppertone

I do not believe that your final semester has much bearing after your interview. Just make sure you pass your classes, because you have to make sure you have the right number of credits. (But keep in mind that if you were not accepted this year, your final semester's marks WOULD count on a repeat application)

Guest pinkmango2005

Thanks for the help! I kind of surprised myself cuz I thought I would totally slack off this semester since it didn't "count" but I've actually been working just as hard as I have in the past!

Good luck on finals everyone...the finish line is in sight!! (and hopefully the med startline too!).

Archived