Premed 101 Forums

Medschool/campus feel/vibe?

Guest CBCK86

Guest CBCK86

Hey all,

I just took a trip up to the U of A to take a look at the campus, and from what I saw; it seems to be quite a nice school. Next year I will be applying to various Universities, but due to a kind of lucky stroke of fate (which I will not elaborate on) I am receiving shall we say extremely good tuition benefits should I choose to go there (U of A), these benefits extend to any set of courses including any post graduate work, and the M.D Program (which I am very interested in, obviously looking at this forum). So, instead of asking such open ended questions like 'what is the campus life like?' (I put some thought into this you know hehe) I would like to ask some of the moderators that spent a lot of time @ the U of A to tell me what they liked and or disliked about the campus or the people there.

Thank you very much in advance for you responses,

Chris

Guest snoopychan

Hi Chris,

I will be starting med school this fall at U of A. Although I cannot comment on much at this point, I can say that I got a great vibe from the school, one of the many reasons why I am choosing U of A. What I can do is pass on some thoughts from a friend of mine, who is currently in 3rd year med there. Following is part of an email that he sent to me regarding school. I am sure he won't mind:

"I'm going to throw in a plug for U of A - it is (in my opinion) one of the best medical schools in Canada. We are consistently ranked in the top 3 (maybe even 1st this year) in terms of LMCC (licensing exams for doctors) results... so the education is probably just as good if not better than every other canadian school. Also, we have one of the largest ER's in Canada... and soon (opening in 2005) one of the best cardiology facilities in North America. The schedule is a lot more easygoing than all the ontario schools (unfortunately for you - tuition will be increased starting with your year)..."

How is the typical day like as a medical student at U of A?

One of the great reasons U of A is a good school is that the workload is considerably lighter than other schools. We get two half-days off per week for study time, or optional shadowing with physicians, clinical skills training, or sleeping in. We also have two half days per week spent on learning about the "art" of medicine - interview skills, interpersonal skills, patient issues, community health, the "non-science" side of medicine. Usually class would start at 8am, if there are classes that morning, and end anytime between 2pm to 5pm... rarely (in 1st year) do you ever have a full day from 8-5... in second year, we do get the occasional full day... Lunchtimes (a 1 hour break from 12-1) are usually taken up with various special speakers arranged by the many clubs and interest groups (psychiatry club, surgery club, ER club, christian club, rural medicine club, med choir).

What is the main method of teaching at U of A?

U of A employs a fairly new curriculum, incorporating (successfully, I feel) clinical exposure with didactic lectures. We progress in "blocks" like some other schools (U of Ottawa, U of Calgary) where you study the Endocrine system for 6 weeks... where you cover anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, histology, pathology, etc in various integrated lectures - the 1st week would be everything related to the thyroid gland, then the adrenals, etc. Interspersed are chances to interview patients with the particular endocrinological disorder. We have many really nice teachers, who incorporate all the latest technology to make learning as visually stimulating as possible, especially Dr. Walji, an anatomy professor who can draw amazing anatomical diagrams on the blackboard as he is explaining the structures and function of each blood vessel, ligament, bone, and muscle.

What do you consider to be the strengths and weaknesses of the MD program at U of A?

Strengths include the strong Alberta economy, including a promising future in health care and lots of money for medical research. The reputation of U of A is quickly rising due to the breakthrough research by Dr. Shapiro's islet transplantation research and many other cutting edge research and facilities (like the largest ER in Canada and a soon to be built world class cardiology unit). One amazing thing about the faculty of medicine here is that they truly listen to student feedback. Every week the course or block coordinators meet with a small group of students and encourage both positive and negative feedback to better the course. Whatever changes are suggested are almost immediately put into action.

Weaknesses would have to include, sometimes, an unbalanced or disproportional distribution of lecture hours due to the block system. Certain conditions or diseases are sometimes lumped together and tagged onto the end of a block that has some relation but not totally (though this is not a huge problem) Other weaknesses would be the larger class size (they increased it by 20 last year). In 1st year you get a really nice big lecture hall, but in 2nd year you're stuck in a smaller crampier place... there are technically enough seats for everyone, but often people who come late end up sitting in the aisles instead of climbing over people to get to the empty seats... (partly, it's their fault for getting there late, but it's pretty annoying)... although it's not TOO big that you don't get to know anyone - I feel like I know 95% of the class really well...

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Guest snoopychan

Hi Meghan,

You are welcome for the post. I actually had the luxury of that info heading into my interview, which got me pumped up and worked in my favour. I too am looking forward to starting school, and exploring living on my own. I was just wondering where you are from orignally. See you soon!!!

Kris

Hey snoopychan,

I also enjoyed reading the email your friend had sent you... I am getting excited for Sept., and I keep checking the mail for our package to come. Just one comment, you said you were interested in emerg and that it's the biggest department in Canada. I actually work in emerg at the U of A and everyone who works there is great and we see so many interesting cases/accidents etc. that I think you made a great choice. The new emerg has only been open for a few years and the equipment/facilities are great and things run quite smoothly now that everything is computerized. The docs are wonderful (I even have the opportunity to shadow some this summer). Edmonton actually has two trauma centres (Royal Alex and the U), and the types of things they see can be quite different, so you will have ample opportunity to be involved in interesting things! See you soon.

Guest snoopychan

Hi fox,

Thanks for the inside scoop. Now I am certain that I made the right choice. Did I mention that I am soooooo excited to start? It's the first thing I think of every morning, a great change from the, "Hmmm...I wonder if the acceptance letter will finally arrive today". Thanks for sharing my excitement and enthusiasm for med school. I too am checking the mail for the registration package, so that I can take care of the immunization. I am counting down the days until my flight, and I can't wait to decorate my very first own apartment (have everything picked out from IKEA). Must look into cooking lessons now...

Kris

Guest CBCK86

I would just like to say thanks Kris, for the post, it covered alot of what I was looking for, hopefully when I do eventually apply (about a year now) I will get accepted hehe.

Thanks again Kris,

and be sure to tell us how your first couple weeks go ;)

Chris

Snoopychan,

I'm originally from Saskatchewan! Then moved to Southern Alberta, went to university in Ottawa (isn't that where you live now?) and Nova Scotia. BTW everyone, I am such a geek and excited about school that I actually bought 'school supplies' already. hehehe, sad, I know!

Meghan

Guest summervirus

Hey snoopychan, thanks for the post! :) (Btw, just curious, is your friend that sent you the email "T.Y."?)

Hey Megs, don't forget to buy pencil crayons too. You'll need to do some fancy colouring after Christmas time for your anatomy lectures. (Yay, just like elementary school again)!

Guest snoopychan

Megs: I am originally from Hong Kong and moved to Ottawa when I was 9. I did my undergrad in biochemistry at the University of Ottawa. When were you there? Currently I am working in a lab at the faculty of medicine for the summer. School supplies? Aren't we excited about med school. Good for you. I guess I am guilty as charged too, having picked out ALL my furniture and house supplies down to cutlery and shower curtain. We can be fellow geeks together.

Summervirus: Yup, T.Y. is my friend. Hmmm...it appears that he is well known around the campus. We attended university together, him being 2 years ahead. We used to play soccer in the same league too. Our moms are good friends, and have been swapping stories ever since I got into med school. Is that T.Y.'s hockey photo that I see on the MSA webpage? The med hockey team is something i definitely want to participate in. Is the team hard to make or is it all for fun? My friends here at home are sending me on a mission during my time in Edmonton of converting some Oilers fans to Sens fans.

Summervirus - well I'll just have to pick up some pencil crayons! I was always a little jealous of my nursing student roommates who had those fun coloring books! Finally, my time has come!

Snoopychan - I was in Ottawa in 99 I think - but not ottawau, rather Augustine College which is a tiny classical liberal arts university. Ever heard of it? I had a very fun year, and spent many afternoons downtown, at the art gallery and parliment. One time my roommate and I were rollerblading at the hill and preston manning came out of one of the blocks and said 'looks like fun, girls' in his squeaky little voice. We were pretty excited, which just goes to show you that I am a geek in the school supply sense and also in the 'political celebrity' sense (if you can call preston that!).

Guest snoopychan

Hi Megs,

I've never heard of Augustine College. However, I too have met Preston Manning. He came to my high school during grade 13 for his campaign. I hope downtown or the trendy part of Edmonton is as fun as Ottawa. I too am into rollerbalding, especially on the path behind the Parliament. I will be brining my rollerblades to Edmonton. If you ever need a partner for rollerblading, you'll know who else is up for it. I also plan on buying a bike upon my arrival, as the paths along the N.Sask river and near the school seem very nice. I had a chance to visit the congress centre during my interview/vacation in March. That area looks nice too for stuff like that. Chinatown needs work though, not as nice as Ottawa. I will miss mom and dad's Chinese cooking. Looking forward to it.

Edmonton is great for biking, there is a very extensive trail system throughout the River Valley and there are lots of cyclists in the city. Funny you should mention biking, though... You have to be careful, mine was stolen right out of my garage last night, so now I am poor and without a bike for the time being. There are also great places for rollerblading, too.

Guest Petra

Wow, reading all this is starting to get me more and more excited. When will those registration packages come!! Although I have not yet bought any school supplies, I am sure I will get all excited about it when I do!!

Like fox said there is a trail through the river valley. Good for rollerblading, but sometimes the hills are a bit much for me!! Whyte ave, the social place of edmonton is a lot of fun too. Its right by the U as well.

snoopychan,

You are on for rollerblading! I do, however, biff it more often than I should - hope you're not easily embarrased!

Meghan

Guest snoopychan

Megs: Rollerblading sounds great. You are on! As for embarassment, don't worry about it. I'd be glad to give you a hand. We'll have you up to speed in no time. I am soooo looking forward to it.

Fox: Stolen bike. Sucky! I'll be sure to keep mine in the apartment when it is not in use. I am sorry about the bad news. However, in light of all of this, I will now reveal to you the best kept secret about a store offering great deals on bikes....ready....Toys R Us!! That's right, they sell adult bikes too. You can get a mountain bike with front suspension for $160 w/tax, well $150 without any PST in Alberta. That's where I'll be getting mine. I am up for some biking too if you are up for it.

Petra: Whyte avenue sounds fun. I had the chance of going there for dinner during my interview. I love those trendy areas. I have a feeling we'll be going there during the Pub Crawl...

Any soccer players and downhill skiers out there? These are my favourite sports and I am bringing all my gear.

Can't wait!!!

Snoopychan

I love playing soccer! I've played for 11 years and have coached, as well. Hopefully we'll get a intramural team together this year, but I also play for a city team. I've met lots of great people this way. I actually love almost all sports, including both downhill and cross country skiing. As for the bike, thanks for the condolences. Unfortunately, I had a pretty expensive bike, but it will all work out in the end.

Guest snoopychan

fox:

I'll have to ask you about getting hooked up with some city or intramural soccer. I too have been playing it for years for the Ottawa Division I team. Downhill skiing as a class sounds good, and Banff isn't too far away is it? My parents will be with me the first week, taking a vacation to Banff for couple of days.

Guest Petra

Hey Snoopychan,

yeah, i believe that we will be hitting up whyte ave, but I think we will start at some other bars, like Cowboys (which i guess you either love or hate!)

I'm also into downhill skiing. edmonton is great because its close to Jasper so you can go to Marmot Basin easily for the day. Banff is a little further (although my family still pushes day trips to sunshine!) and has some excellent hills!

Guest shkelo

Wow! Fox, sorry to hear about the stolen bike. That sucks!! Mine was stolen too, a couple of years ago from the basement of a house I was living at. If you have house insurance (which I'm sure you do by the sounds of it), make sure that you call your bike a "personal item" rather than a "sporting good". At least with my insurance, personal items are covered at replacement value while sporting goods are covered at replacement value minus depreciation. It made a big difference in my case since my bike was 3 or 4 years old at the time.

As for downhill skiing, there are many opportunities to go skiing. There is an annual ski trip planned every year by the MSA and you will have opportunities to go skiing with a scheduled trip to Jasper to experience rural medicine.

Thanks Shelko. Insurance did say they would cover the replacement cost of the bike, so I was happy to hear that. The thief actually broke into the car to steal the garage door opener, and then opened the door to get the bike. The Whyte Ave area certainly is an attraction for crime....

Although Edmonton isn't that close to the mountains (coming from Ontario, people there don't consider driving for four hours to get somewhere to be close), it certainly is great to have access to the moutains and all the activites that revolve around them (skiing, hiking etc.). I have become such an outdoorsy person since I moved to Edmonton, and tried a lot of things I never had the opportunity to do back east.

Just out of curiosity, how much free time (free of studying/responsibility) will we have in first year? Is it reasonable to expect to still be able to get away for weekends and play competitive soccer during the school year and make it to the gym everyday? Or is the workload pretty crazy?

Guest summervirus

Snoopychan: Oh, I see. Yeah, I know T.Y. because we go to the same church and youth group. I couldn't find the photo you were referring to with T.Y. But, I do see a photo of the ladies' team with T.Y.'s girlfriend. :) There's both recreational and competitive hockey teams.

Fox: Sorry to hear about your bike and car! :( You'll have enough time during the school year to participate in various extracurricular activities. It's possible to fit in various things into your schedule. Like, I spent three nights every week with my church's youth group; I had a regular exercise routine; and, I spent countless hours playing video games without taking too much away from my school work. And, I know of classmates that managed to fit much more than that into their schedules and they still did very well academically. :)

Now I can't wait for school to start! I was kind of worried about not having enough time to do the things I enjoy. I wish our package would hurry up and arrive!

Guest snoopychan

So it's all settled. Soccer, rollerblading, skiing, recreational hockey...and perhaps some studying on the side.:lol

Summervirus: video games? Sweet. I haven't touched one of those in years until this summer. My friends all got an XBOX and got me hooked on HALO.

Archived