Premed 101 Forums

Exams

Guest fox

Hi Everyone,

I am just wondering what the exam schedule is like at U of A. How often will we be writing exams in first year? I am just wondering what to expect workload-wise..... And I am getting excited, so I am dying to hear everything about what it will be like! Any info would be appreciated. And good luck to everyone waiting for phone calls. It seems weird that phone calls were made but no one posted saying they were accepted....

Guest mirrille

The year is divided into system blocks of varying lengths. You get examined on each block during that block. The exams can be cumulative or non-cumulative within the block, but they are non-cumulative from block to block.

For first year, the schedule goes something like this:

Intro block: 5 weeks. 1 final

Infection, Immunity, Inflammation: 7 weeks. 1 midterm, 1 final

Endocrine block: 6 weeks, 1 midterm, 1 final

Cardio-pulmonary-renal block: 13 weeks. 2 midterms, 1 final

It works out to one exam every 3-6 weeks.

In addition, you get one POMD (Practice of Medicine and Dentistry) in December and one in May. Anatomy also has it's own bellringer exams, but in first year, you only have one for the last block.

I found it quite manageable as long as you make a reasonable effort to keep up.

That sounds pretty manageable. Will we get a schedule at the beginning of the year telling us when exams are, or will they just tell us a few weeks ahead of time?

Guest mirrille

You will get a schedule at the beginning of the year that outlines when all the blocks are. I can't remember if it outlines how many exams are in a block. Regardless, I don't think you get a schedule for the exams in an individual block until the first day of that block. They'll give you a little introductory lecture at the beginning of each block to tell you what you'll be learning, what the mark breakdown is, when the exams are etc. That's usually when I found out.

Guest Megs

In my undergrad, it is a lab-type of exam during which you have a set time to answer each question/set of questions at a 'station' set up in the exam. When the bell rings (every minute or two) you have to switch stations and move to another question. It was all practical stuff for us (first year bio), so they would give us a slide or a model or a plant to look at and then answer the questions about it. Kinda stressful, but pretty interactive...

Archived