Premed 101 Forums

Deferrals?

Guest swedeboy

Guest swedeboy

Hey there,

I sent an e-mail to Admissions asking about deferrals a week ago and I still haven't heard anything from them yet (because I'm sure they're busy) so I'll see if anybody here knows.

Are they allowed in the first place? If so, under what conditions?

If I'm in my first year of a two year M.Sc. would I be able to apply for admission and defer it one year in order to complete my grad studies?

Just to complicate things even further, what would be the policy if I was short my English pre-reqs and was using the benefit of a Masters to bypass that requirement? My educated guess is that they would just throw out my application right at the start but I'm just curious.

I know U of C allows deferrals for academic reasons in some cases so if I applied there in my first year of the M.Sc., got accepted, and requested a deferral for one year, does that automatically eliminate me from being able to apply at U of A in my second year?

Hope somebody out there has an idea.

Rhett

Hey swedeboy

Marlene told me last year that if you aren't finished your Masters they will sometimes let you defer your acceptance. However, I don't know if there is a limited number of deferrals. I believe that if you don't complete your Masters by the June 15 deadline and do not have english, then your application will not be considered. Were you accepted this year? For this very reason I had to take English 101 (during the second year of my Masters, which made me feel really old!).

As for your last question, I have no idea if you can hold a deferred spot at U of C and apply to U of A. I know the Ontario schools do not allow this and it can cause you some trouble if you try to do that.... Maybe someone else will be better informed on this particular situation.

Guest snoopychan

Hi swedeboy, I have emailed U of A many times in the past and also recently at the address that they advertise, but have NEVER gotten one response (don't know if it is still in use). I have since contacted them by phone, and Marlene is very nice and more than helpful.

admissions@med.ualberta.ca

Just so you are not going crazy checking email... Cheers.

Archived