Premed 101 Forums

OOP invites

Guest MsKate

• 1 month later...
Guest PeterC007

Yes, there will be more oop invites. This year the interview process was modified so that 2nd,3rd,4th+ applicants in-prov and oop are interviewed together. With that amount of people, some were interviewed in Feb, some will be in May, and even a few in June/July

Pete

U of A med 2005

A friend of mine who has completed his degree, OOP as well, has received a rejection letter already. Does this mean that those who have not received any notification may in fact have an interview in the next set in May?

Guest bc guy

Ian: what made you pick UBC over UA? Any regrets?

Would graduating from certain medical schools make you a better candidate for getting 1st choice with CaRM.

My heart says UA cause I heard that people there are so friendly and so sharing. Did not hear the same for UBC med students but much much better weather here.

Sorry Ian, I don't want to steal your thunder but from what I've gleaned and what my friends who are in med school at the UofC told me, it doesn't really matter where you got your MD degree from and it has no bearings on getting your first choice with CaRM. For example, I don't think the University of Calgary med school is as prestigious as the UofT or Mac but this year at the UofC, 70 out of 71 people got their first choice with CaRM. Now back to Ian... :)

Guest PeterC007

I'm not sure about the rejection situation but I guess your friend didn't meet the requirements for OOP. If you haven't received anything yet then don't worry. They are still going through applications and offering interviews.

Pete

Guest bc guy

Further, did those people who had first choices get them at Calgary.......I guess what I am trying to say is does the province where you do your medical education give preference to their own students when it is time for CaRM? Thanks!

Does anyone know what dates the May interviews will be held on? Also, as an OOP applicant, how much notice will they give me? I'm planning to spend some time with family so i'm wondering.

bc guy: The answer to your question would be not necessarily because they got in all over the country. The first choice of CaRMs does not depend on your province in which you got your degree. You might have made more contacts and references within the province you have studied but this doesn't guarantee you anything. Oh btw, I learned when I went for my interview at UC that the one person who didn't get into their first choice was because they chose a very competitive field-radiology. I heard that the two most competitve fields are radiology and Emergency. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Out Of Province

I am an OOP applicant and i have a 36Q (10-13-13) and a gpa of 3.95 on the ontario 4 scale.

Anyone want to tell me my chances?

JungleTom

Guest yingw

Hey JungleTom,

I'd say pretty good. I had an interview at U of A in Feb. My stats are 10-13-14-Q, with a GPA of 3.99 on the Ontario scale.

Let me know if you get that interview invite! Good luck.

Guest Jungle Tom

I just received an interview to U of A for end of May.

I need some help....

1. What should I do to prepare as an out-of-province student

2. HOW MANY OOP INTERVIEWS/SPOTS are there?

3. How was the interview?

4. How was the interview, with respect to any of the Ontario one's?

ANYTHING ELSE WOULD BE GREAT

You all ROCK

Tom

Guest yingw

My subject heading says it all. Congrats - I had a feeling that you would get one. My responses to your queries are below:

1. I guess you're thinking that, as an OOP, they will ask you different questions. My interviewers didn't ask me anything about my province, or anything about Alberta.

2. 15 OOP spots. How many interviewed? Not sure. I believe that there is a post from last year saying that they interviewed 85 OOPs.

3 + 4. The interview was really relaxed. I remember my community member nodding encouragingly at me - that helped boost my confidence. I found it to be similar to the Ontario ones, in that it was conversational. My interviews were all based on my CV; the only thing was that each interview panel decided to focus on a different aspect. So, my advice would be to know your CV really well.

Best of luck!

Guest Fun Dip

I'm an OOP applicant but haven't received anything from U of A. Does anyone know what the process is? Are they waiting for my final transcript before they make a decision on my application? Are they keeping my application open until July in case people decide to go elsewhere? If so, why wouldn't they just choose from the people they have already interviewed to fill those spots? To sum up, anyone mind telling me what's going on?????

Archived