Premed 101 Forums

Another thought for accomodation...

Guest Kels2004

Guest Kels2004

Hi guys -

With the cost of tuition and rent breaking the bank these days, I thought I would post another idea for accomodation - there are often shared accomodation availible with special needs students or adults.

(I just posted one for Edmonton on the housing forum).

Often the cost of rent is subsidized substantially if some simple jobs are taken on by the roommate to provide some general support (ie grocery shopping with the individual, etc).

I think it can also be very personally rewarding - feel free to contact me if you have questions.

Guest chemgirl

Hi Kels,

I was wondering if you had more info on doing this sort of job. I wouldn't be able to share accomodation with anyone, but I have experience working with special needs adults and was wondering if there actually are any opportunities in edmonton to offer non-live in support as a very part time job (say about 10-15 hours per week at the most).

Someone asked me to post this, so if you are still looking for accomodation, this is an opportunity:

Female roommate wanted to share furnished 2-bedroom 2-bath condo with easy-going, 21-year-old Grant MacEwan College student with special needs.

Gorgeous, newer high-rise condo 2 blocks to Grant MacEwan City Centre Campus, 3 blocks to LET. Student requires some support (~10 hours/week) with meal planning, grocery shopping, meal preparation and time management. Roommate could be hired to provide some or all of this support if interested. $550/month including heat, water and laundry (in suite).

I noticed chemgirl mentioned working 10-15 hours a week... I think that might be a little overzealous... I worked, as did a number of people in my class, but it wasn't always easy, and I had a job where I didn't have to work every week if I didn't want. I could be wrong, but I don't think the people who did work usually worked no more than one day a week, perhaps two (but shorter shifts).

I worked a lot more the first half of the year because school was much lighter. I also found it very fun, relaxing and important to be involved in lots of extracurrics, so don't forget to take time for that sort of stuff!

If anyone else is thinking about working, it is totally doable, but make sure you have some flexibility so you don't miss out on fun/social life or get too stressed when it's exam time.

Archived