Premed 101 Forums

Deferrals

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Hey everyone,

Quick question: has anyone attempted to request a deferral?? I'm a waitlisted IP student, and am thinking about requesting a deferral if accepted as I'm only one year away from finishing two degrees that I've worked really hard for....but I'm not sure if they will request a deferral to a waitlisted applicant, has anyone tried??

Thanks all, GOOD LUCK

Guest doubledr

Hi,

I have a deferral at U of C, and they presented it as an option to first round acceptees with the condition that it had to be received by June 2. I know that once I confirmed my deferral a waitlister there was let in...

Most schools will only defer until a certain date. After that, you usually must commit or give up your spot. You should definitely check around and see what the U of A policy is though :)

Good luck!

dd

Guest summervirus

I know of three friends that successfully deferred -- all three for the same reason -- to complete a degree. I believe there is a quota for deferals and it's "first come first served."

Guest swedeboy

I at first thought deferrals were a "first come first serve" arrangement as well, but Dr. Cheeseman (the man in charge of approving deferrals) told me otherwise a couple months ago. Once they receive ALL defferal requests then they will go through the process of approving them. I'm assuming that means even people who are accepted off the waitlist should have the opportunity to request a deferral. I don't know the exact timelines though as I opted to accept my offer rather than defer. However, he did tell me to make as good a case for a deferral in my request letter as I possibly could and that wanting to complete a degree is usually a very good reason (especially if it's a grad degree). Hope that helps!

swedeboy

Archived