Premed 101 Forums

Competitive marks

Guest coolguy3650

Guest coolguy3650

My pre-req gpa so far is 8.25, my overall will probably end up being 8.0, or perhaps slightly better, but on my mcat I got V13, P13, B12 Q. Are these competitive marks? Should I take a boatload of upgrades (ie. improve my pre-reqs)? I realize other factors are also important, and there can be no definate answers to these questions, but for marks alone, does it look like I have a good shot? Thanks for any help.

Have you looked at the U of A med school website? There are statistics for our class on their (class of 2007) with respect to the average GPA, MCAT, and pre-req marks. The link is:

www.med.ualberta.ca/ugme/doctorofmed.cfm

The pre-req GPA counts for approximately 25% of your overall ranking, whereas your overall GPA counts for only 10%, so obvisouly your pre-req marks are more important. Hopefully seeing the stats will help. Good luck!

Guest coolguy3650

I've seen the stats, but without range or standard deviation it's hard to assess whether I'm sitting pretty marks wise or not. Thanks for the help though.

Guest sassy101

Hey coolguy,

I know you would love to get a definative answer but it really is hard to judge whether or not marks are competitive. Keep in mind there is a new batch of people applying every year and therefore the competition varies every year. My advice is you never know until you try......have faith in yourself. Look at it this way....apply this year and see what happens...if you dont get accepted you can perhaps get some feedback as to whether it was academic, or interview or whatever.

Good luck

Do you have your undergrad degree already (or in your final year)? There are only 25 spots for students without a degree, but ~100 spots for those with a degree. Keep that in mind in terms of your competitiveness.

You will only get a rejection letter from U of A. You will have to make an appointment with Marlene or the Admissions Dean in the UGME office if you want to get some feedback on your application to see where you can make improvements. Good luck!!

Guest coolguy3650

Thanks for that shkelo. I'll apply this year, probably won't get in, ask what went wrong, improve on my weaknesses, then try again next year. Rinse and repeat. I guess if I keep doing that I'll eventually get in. Do u guys know if they look favourably on indiviuals who apply multiple times? Thanks for any help.

Guest 66mario

i think you just need to be confident about your chances. i got in and i had below-average marks. my gpa was about 8.3 for both overall and pre-reqs and my mcat was all 10's. coming from engineering, it's been a long road, but you just need to stay positive and do well on the interview (i strongly believe that it's because of my strong interview that got me in; it made up for my below-average marks).

Guest sassy101

I agree....never say never....I got into U of A out of prov and believe me I had my doubts. YOU NEVER KNOW...put out your best application possible and have faith. As Fox mentioned everyone has a different background and therefore something different to offer.

Guest coolguy3650

I'd like to thank everyone for their words and wisdom. It's a tough road to get into medicine, for most anyway, but this forum will make it easier. Again, thanks.

According to the admissions office the ranges for the 2003 class was:

cummulative GPA: 7.86-9.00

pre-requisite GPA: 7.83-9.00

Remember, this is after their final year was accounted for, not when they were offered an interview. I know my stats changed quite a bit when I got interviewed last year in Febuary until the time I was accepted in May/June.

I hope this helps,

k

Archived