Premed 101 Forums

Really cheap stethoscopes

Guest phantom8

Guest phantom8

Well, the inevitable happened for me and I lost my Littman Cardiology III stethoscope while on call. I need to get a new stethoscope fairly quickly and was rather dismayed to see the Cardiology III going for almost $300 now! (no wonder nobody has returned my stethoscope)

My question is if anyone here has experience with much cheaper stethoscopes. Even the Classic II SE is still going for over $125. Anyone here used a Sprague Rappaport for any period of time? Or any of the other brands besides Littmans and WelchAllyns?

On a side note, the biggest difference I've noticed between my Cardiology III and some cheapie stethoscope I've borrowed off the ward is my ability to hear bowel sounds, of all things!

• 3 months later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1117553700</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

Lorae

Figured I'd write up a review on the stethescope I've been using for the past 4 years.

I use the Littmann Cardiology III. Basically... it's good... I'll be keeping it and taking it to med school with me :)

Before it, I used the master classic.

I don't like the "master" series because you lose the option of having a true bell. I have tried the master cardiology and I didn't notice any significant improvement in the acoustics (enough to warrant the extra ~$100). But... when I switched from the classic series to the cardiology series I definitely noticed an acoustic improvement!!! I can hear grad 1-2 murmurs fairly easily if the room is quiet and the patient isn't too obese/talkative ;)

What I like most about the cardiology III is that it has a tunable diaphragm on both sides - this means it can function as both a bell and a diaphragm (for high and low pitched sounds) without having to rotate the head to a traditional bell (note: this technology is what all the original hype was about the master series)... so this means you have an adult and pediatric side! Very good for a medical student... Plus (yes! there's more) If you decide you would prefer a traditional bell, you can remove the pediatric diaphragm and convert it!

here's the link: www.3m.com/us/healthcare/..._iii.jhtml

In a "normal" store, the cardiology III is usually ~$300, but DON"T BUY IT!!!! The reps will show up at your school with a price much lower.

The only negative aspect I've found with my scope is when I dropped it, the plastic ring cracked and the pediatric diaphragm fell off - but the littmann service is so good! They replaced it free of charge.

(I don't work for littman... no conflict of interest to disclose:D )

Just my opinion on my trusty, rusty, ole' stethescope.

Archived