Premed 101 Forums

language?

Guest anemarie

Guest anemarie

hey guys.........i am doing my undergraduate in ontario, at University of Toronto. I am planning to apply to quebec medical schools but my french is rusty :( I finished high school french immersion. I understand everything that u guys posted on the forum, i understand everything written, i have a basic understanding of spoken french-speak slower and i'll understand or even spell it out for me:)

My question is about the interview.......is it in french? what marks do u need to get into medical school (at laval and umontreal in particular)? do they consider all your academic years or just your best 2?

A link to where it is on the universities' website would be great! I didn't find it anywhere at laval....

Thanks so much!!!!1

Guest cutieyellow

Anemarie,

First of all, are you a Quebec resident? You said that you're doing your undergrad at UofT... Laval, Montreal and Sherbrooke accept only a handful of out of provinces, and usually only in provinces with whom they have an agreement (some of the Maritimes). Therefore, if you are an Ontario resident, i think it's impossible for you to get in.

Now, if you are a Qc resident, then it's another story. The interview is indeed in French, although each university has its own way of doing these. UdM is a regular group + personal interview. USherbrooke has a written personality exam where you have 260+ questions to answer in 2 hrs i think. ULaval has a stimulation where they put you in situation and you have to react to them. Everything is obviously in french.

Marks required to get into med is about similar to all universities, i'd say a rough GPA of about 3.7+ is about the minimum norm. Nothing is set though, as this depends on the batch of applicants. Also, they consider all of your academic scores, you can't remove a year or whatnot.

Selection Criterias

CY

Guest quebecboy

I'd just like to add that Sherbrooke accepts students from every Canadian province and territory, except Ontario (and possibly Newfoundland).

Quebecboy

Guest cutieyellow

Wow, didn't know Sherbrooke accepted OOPs except those with whom it had agreements. Is that new ? It's not even written on the website!

What i did notice though, when i browsed through is that you guys only have 3 electives at Sherbrooke (clerkship)? Is that RIGHT?!

CY

Guest quebecboy

Hey CY,

Yeah, only three electives! I would have liked a little more flexibility, being undecided in what I want to go later on. However, the externat courses are all 9 credits, so it should be fine to see all specialties.

For the OOP candidates, you can see the criteria here:

www.usherbrooke.ca/medeci...ission.htm for west of ontario students.

For east of Qc students (PEI, NB, NS), the criteria is the same as other med schools.

QB

Guest cutieyellow

That's crazy QcBoy... On a 6 electives a Laval et meme a ca, avec mon indecision, je trouve que c'est peu-surtout le nombre derisoire de 2 (ou 3) electives avant l'application en residence!

Ca m'apprendra a etre non satisfaite! :P

CY

Guest noncestvrai

On a 3 ou 4 electives avant CaRMS...a McGill, avec le nouveau programme. On se fait quand meme chi*r lors de la 4eme annee avec des rotations supplementaires...

noncestvrai

Guest BurnabyBeaver

Allo,

Je suis un long auditeur de temps mais utilisateur récent. Veuillez excuser mon newbieness

A n'importe qui entendu parler n'importe qui de Vancouver Colombie Britanique entrant dans une école médicale française et combien d'un problème coûte lui si vous ne parlez pas ou n'écrivez pas en français que bon. Y a-t-il un leniancy en obtenant utilisé à la langue écrite et parlée?

Merci,

~BB~

Guest cutieyellow

Laval doesn't take any students from other canadian provinces other than the ones it has engagements with, and these being mostly maritimes ones. It is therefore impossible for you to get in here unless you become a Quebec resident.

I don't think Montreal takes any out of provincers either. Only Sherbrooke does, but it takes only francophones from other provinces, therefore i would assume that this would put someone who doesn't fully master the language would be at a disadvantage. Your best bet is to email the proper schools and ask questions :)

CY

Archived