Premed 101 Forums

Is it worth taking french in high school

Guest despikable

Guest despikable

Ok im in grade 10 and i want to do medicine later on and i was wondering is it worth doing french in high school will it help all that much because everyone here says you need french to get a job. My alternative to french is writing. I really dont want to do french if i dont have to but i dont want to regret not doing it so i was if you guys would tell me is it worth doing french in high school will it improve my chance into getting to university/med school or am i better of just doing writing please answer quicky because i only have until friday to change my courses.

Guest NurseNathalie

I don't think that having that little bit of french in highschool,will make a difference when you apply to medical school. I know some jobs are easier to get if you are bilingual, but Medicine is not one of them!

there are also a few issues here... French is a whole culture, not just a language... you can't get that in one year of high school french... especially if you have absolutely NO interest in learning French, and are only doing it to have it on your resume. (for example, the French-Canadian say that 'their heart hurts'... when describing nausea. Someone who may not understand the language/culture may spend a lot of time and money looking in the wrong place for a diagnosis).

I think though, that if the French language genuinely interested you, it would perhaps broaden your oportunities- in the population you would be able to serve...

If you dont like french...dont want to speak french...dont take french in highschool. It will not make you get in to med school... your marks will !

Guest frenchfrog

I'm not sure where you are from, what university you wish to attend or to which medical college you will apply, but, as far as I believe, you don't need to take french if you don't want to. I don't think that taking french in grade 10 or not taking french will prove to be crucial decision concerning your chances of getting into medical school. I must say that French is a fabulous language and learning a second (or third) language can open up alot of job and travel related opportunities for you...But, don't worry about the french class seriously affecting your competitiveness. In the end, if you find that you want to learn a language, you can always take a university class (It's not too late by then)! Take writing if you'll enjoy it more. ;)

I'm not sure if it's still the case but many undergrad schools used to require a grade 11 language for entry. If this is the case, make sure you have a language (doesn't have to be French though).

It's good to learn French, because it's good to know a second language (though I doubt that grade 11 French will get you there!) It's also good to learn how to write.

But for your medical school applications? Nothing you do in Grade 10 or 11 will ever matter!

Guest noncestvrai

Well, if you really want ot learn French, and you won't in bubble Franch in HS, you should spend some time in a French-only environment, say like in Chicoutimi...

There are Canadian programm for summer bursaries and the such.

At the end you will have "mal au coeur" of French...;) , but you'll understand a bit to get by.

noncestvrai

Archived