Premed 101 Forums

Rejection letters?

Guest physiology

Guest uglyorange

Hey tea,

Thanks for the message.

Do you know how they evaluate employment?

To be honest, I never thought that the health problems in my family would be considered an extra-curricular activity. I mean, why would I put down "sitting by a hospital bed for 12 hrs a day" x # of weeks to be an extra-curricular activity. What do you think?

What did you mean by "the financial assistance...family assistance..etc" part?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I meant if you have to work to survive. Sad but true, there are applicants who 's never worked a day in their lives and used their family's business as "working experience" when they've never even set foot inside their family businesses etc. If my whole life has been around school and never even have to cook a meal at home, then of course my gpa would be considerably higher than those who must work to survive.

Employment: it's not important what your job title is. What's important is what experience did you gain? what did you learn? how did your works affect others? For example: working as a dishwasher in a restaurant. i wouldn't write: "work as a dishwasher" and nothing else. in my autobiographical sketch.. i would elaborate on how this experience has impacted my life and others- it showed that i'm flexible.. i can endure hard work and not a stickler for reputation/social status. I worked as a dishwasher because i need to support myself and not be a burden to others.

Sitting next to a hospital bed for 12 hours a day: what did you gain? how do you feel about sitting there 12 hours a day? hopeless? frustration? what would have made your "sitting there" feel better? perhaps an assurance, an encouragement from a doctor, a nurse, or a glass of water and decent food from the hospital cafeteria? You're given a valuable opportunity that other applicants may not have- what it feels like to be on the other end of healthcare! Remember your experiences so that one day, you'll be able to help make other family member feels better in this difficult time.

Sorry, i'm not trying to lecture you but rather share what i've done with my own application.

Guest uglyorange

Tea,

I put all those experiences of being a family member of a sick person in my autobiographical essay. It never daunted me that I should list them as extra-curricular activities! Taking care of family is more like a personal duty.

How many times have you applied? How is your gf doing now that she's out of med school? Can she go back in when she is ready?

Guest d77mah

My Academic side was 23/25 and I got 11.25 in the non-academic... Im OOP... I guess participating in sydney 2000 Summer Olympics was not good enough for the folks at UBC...

BAH-HUMBUG>:

Guest McCarey007

uglyorange:

Med schools are looking for non-academic EXPERIENCES, not extra-curricular activies per se.

d77mah:

Did you do anything else besides school and the Olympics? Were you an athlete or a volunteer? The reason I ask is if u don't have anything else besides your involvement in the Olympics, then you probably don't have enough diversity in your experiences. Just a thought...

Guest Tyler

I got my feedback interview schedualed for next friday, hoping to get some good advice to get me above the threshold! Do they give you individual scores for each experience you put down, or just the score in the section?

Tyler

Guest medschoolboy

How would you differeniate what is an experience and activity? Aren't they both related? I'm an OOP and did not make the cut for interview....only if I was in province! I was wondering how they marked the NA section. I personally thought that I had many non-academic experiences (research 3 years, volunteer for 7 consecutive years, research abroad to different countries, regular clubs, president of youth group, orchestras, sports teams) but only received 13.47/25!!! I thought that was horrible. Anyone care to elaborate? Thanks a lot guys.

Guest physiology

Hey medschoolboy,

I will try to offer some insight. How did you describe your volunteer experiences.

I pretty much maxed out every 46 word description or whatever the limit was.

Like for example, if you play the piano - don't just put the duration and "Played piano"

Talk about being in ARCT (and I described it as the highest grade of piano according to the Royal Conservatory) or try to jam in any piano competitions you have done well in.

I did that instead of listing individual competitions because it would have been too hard to find a contact.

Guest mymomthinksimacatch

Hi y'all... was wondering who is doing the feedback sessions this year, and also who was doing them last year (if there was more than one person)?

I went to one last year, and wasn't allowed to look at the breakdown of where my NA points were awarded!!

Not that its a huge deal (still list the same stuff on the ol' application), but am curious (and interested to know who's doing the feedback/giving out the breakdowns).

Guest Tyler

Ive never had here but I have a phone interview with her tommorow. Do you think she will give the individual scores for each activity? Is it all in the way you ask? I wonder if its normal to be given each score for each task?

Hopefully I can get some good direction and ideas on how to improve and make sure scores don't go down but up!

Tyler

Archived