Premed 101 Forums

Rejection letters?

Guest physiology

Guest physiology

Hello,

Has anyone out there received a rejection letter?

Do you mind sharing the interview cut-off score this year?

Or perhaps any info on how we were evaluated (ie. a score of 50 with 25 for academics and 25 for non-academics?)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought someone reported they were sending them out two weeks ago? Maaaan, just think... if I didn't frequent these message forums, I would have still had hope at this stage... I would be thinking "hmmm, nothing's come yet, maybe they're still sending out emails." Ah well :b

hey Apna, i'm in the same boat. Haven't heard from anyone either via email or letter. I'm starting to get worried as interviews are next week and I don't know if I've been granted one or i'm in the reject pile.

has anyone received a rejection letter? or am i the only that is out of the loop? :o

Guest northernjo

I attended an info session yesterday at UVic put on by UBC admissions. They apologized to everyone who still hadn't heard either way about the interviews. They said they still haven't sent out the reject letters because there is a slim chance of people backing out of the interviews which would free up spots. They didn't say when they are going to be sending the letters, but it's possible you won't get them until after the interview weekend (and by then you'll already know anyway). So there is still a very small chance more invites will arrive, but it's doubtful. I really feel for everyone waiting out there, it must be very frustrating! Good luck.

northernjo

Guest whatisthisakira

Arrgh! the rejection!

FYI

BC cutoff: 34.5

OOP : 42

Oh well... I'll be back.

Best of luck in your interviews!

Guest Ollie

Got the rejection letter. As mentioned above, the BC cutoff was 34.5. What was my score?

OMIGOD!!!!!

I guess someone has to be right at the cutoff. I will be calling up tomorrow and begging and pleading for that 0.01!!!

Guest kakashifan

me too..

i had 33.93.

i will definitely go for an application feedback appmt...

(kinda no use to look over my app, since i think they go over scores which are near the cutoff)

but 34.49 is a bit harsh

=0. kakashi_fan

Guest Tyler

so close I can taste it

Academic: 15.4

Non-academic: 18.75

Total: 34.15

Ah well, there is always next year, my only hope is that my score wont go down next year :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

That sounds pretty crazy, all. :rolleyes It sounds as though the assessment process may be a little different this year after all. In previous years, my rejection letters did not include assessment scores that were rounded to two decimal places. If I recall correctly, they were rounded to no, or at most one, decimal place.

Hopefully you all manage to learn a lot from your appliction reviews. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest UBCHOPEFUL

34.49 is really really harsh....out of curiosity....does anyone know how much an average applicant improves from one year to the next? i.e. by how many points? is expecting an improvment of 5-6 points totally unrealistic? also, for calculation of academic scoring...if it's 12.5 each for last 60 credits and overall average....does that mean if someone has 80% for last 60 credits then it'll be calculated as (0.80 x 12.5 = 10)?...anyone has any ideas?....thanx and good luck for next year's application

Guest physiology

Hey Guys

I'm sorry to hear about this. I got rejected from two other med schools so I know how it feels. Did most of you get at least one interview elsewhere?

My comment is that the BC cut off is pretty high this year - at 34.5/50 that's higher than the past when it was around 33/50 for in-province (is that right Kirsteen?)

However, last year - the AVERAGE of the x/50 score for interview purposes was 36.5, but I dunno what the cut off was.

Especially for those of you who were SOOOOOOOOOOO close, ouch....but..try and argue it. That's downright mean. I mean 0.01 of a point off? How can you lead a horse to water and not let it drink?

Hey OLLIE,

Call them up. Good idea. I think if anyone is a no-show for their interview, I think you'd be called first. Ask them about this.

I mean considering that there are 550 (or 500?) interviews, I think at least one person will fail to show up.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

First, with respect to the calculation of the academic score, when I had my review last year, I was told that points are allocated based on the range in which your average and last 60 credits falls. Different points are awarded for certain ranges, so for example, you may score one point higher if your average is 80.0 versus 79.9.

uglyorange, this is my fourth time applying, with my first set of applications going out in 1999/2000. Yes, my UBC score has climbed each year. My academic score did not change between applications 2 and 3, but I think it may have this year, as my last 60 credits and overall GPA climbed into what may have been different score ranges. My non-academic scores did increase each year. I think this was less due to chance and more as a result of my paying more attention to the construction and writing of my application, as well as participation in activities that were more relevant to my latest degree, which is much closer to medicine than high tech sales and marketing was. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest UBCHOPEFUL

Thanx for the info Kirsteen.....so do u think it'll be too unrealistic to expect an improvement of 5-6 pnts. between two consecutive application cycles?.....and for those who applied more than once.....did anyone see a really big jump in their scores?.....i'm sorry if i seem to be obessing on this pnt....but i really cannot decide between whether to wait and try for ubc next year or try to get into one of the schools in the carribean (St. George's)....:|

Guest Tyler

UBChopeful,

Just curious, were you close this year? What area do you think you could bring up the most, your non-academic or your academic?

Tyler

Guest UBCHOPEFUL

hi tyler,

i wasn't too close actually.......got a 29.50....and i mostly need to improve the academic.....i did really well in the fall semester.....17 credit course load (i go to sfu) w/ 85%....but it was not counted cuz those were completed in december 2003....and it was thinking of taking 5 more courses in the summer to improve the last 60 credits avg.......but it still seems like a long shot.....so i don't know whether i'd be wasting a year by trying again for ubc....considering that i can start in SGU this august.....i'm really confused about what should i do at this point :\

Guest uglyorange

How far does someone have to go to get a high score in the non-academic area? I mean, I don't have the money or time to go travelling around the world or do volunteer work. What kind of things do you guys know of have scored high on applications? Olympic athlete? Volunteered overseas?

Guest uglyorange

Hey Kirsteen,

Do you have an examples of points that you got on your application? Say, 0.9 points for some type of volunteer work?

hi uglyorange and UBChopeful04,

in previous years... they've looked at your leadership skills, ability to work with others, best of human endeavor?, and 2 other categories which i've forgotten.

uglyorange.. you do not have to travel overseas or spend tons of money either. There are plenty of actitivies in the lower mainland.. as long as you can clearly demonstrate your leadership skill etc. you'll get your points. For example, i teach sunday school to a group of 15-20 teenagers.. I didn't write: "taught sunday school x 10 years...." i wrote specific details that demonstrated my leadership skills, competence compassion etc. in the context of my teaching experiences.

Hope that helps... cuz that's what i did and i got an interview.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

For those who have asked and may find this useful, here is a breakdown of the scores that I received over the years (A=academic score; N=non-academic score):

2000: A=12; N=unknown (no interview; ten year rule could not be applied)

2001: A=17; N=20.5; total=37.5 (interviewed for MD/PhD; ten year rule applied)

2002: A=17; N=22; total=39 (no interview; ten year rule applied)

2003: A=unknown; N=unknown; total=at least 42 (interview for MD; ten year rule applied)

In terms for points for the non-academic section of the application, I really don't know how this year's assessment process has changed from that of previous years. However, previously, points where allocated based on the activities in each of the categories mentioned by aiko. Thus, if you had good breadth of experience in terms of leadership, ability to work with others, achievement in an area of human endeavour, and a couple of other categories that now slip my mind, then you could score well. No, these achievements were not necessarily related to having a lot of monetary resources. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest walkorbike

Hi, Kirsteen,

It's nice of you to post your cumulative data....btw, that's great news of yours on the Ottawa board!

walkorbike

Archived