Premed 101 Forums

Rejection letters?

Guest physiology

Guest kaylen

UBC Hopeful

You asked if it was possible to increase your score by 5-6 points. I just wanted to let you know that it may not be easy, but it definately is possible. Last year, my score was 30. This year, it has to be at least 34.5 since I was lucky enough to get an interview. So don't give up!

Kirsteen....thanks for posting that data....very very informative. On my first application, I had a score of 28.5, and then on my second, it was 30. When you reached an academic score of 17, do you mind telling me how that broke down approximately? I am curious what my new academic averages would have amounted to. The score of 15 I got last year was based on final 60 credits with a 78.5, and overall average of 77.5%. I know it is a kind of a personal question, but it seems as though we all know everything about you anyway! :P

Kaylen

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest natmac

Hmm... let me get this straight. You can phone admissions or email and they will give you your score, even if you got an interview? Sorry if this question is redundant. :\

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there kaylen,

It has not been publicly divulged by UBC how they compose the academic score. However, some have postulated that the last 60 credits might be worth more than the overall GPA, which may then be worth more than the pre-requisite GPA. Judging by your academic score from last year compared to my own, I'd say that the last 60 credits may be the weighty factor as my last 60-credit-GPA lay in the 82-85 range. This year, it moved into the 85-90 range. My pre-requisite GPA didn't change at all, but my overall GPA also moved up a few percentage points, perhaps into a new UBC bracket, too.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest soapyslicer

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for letting us know the cutoffs, I was curious as to what my mark was this year. I think people really do need to realize that it is very possible to increase your marks. Like Kirsteen I was given an interview 2 years ago but not one last year.

As the 10 yr rule can now apply to my undergrad I think my academic has risen significantly. As well i finished my thesis (12cr), two other 3cr courses and all my grad work (18cr's) were included in the last 60cr. My last 60cr average is also now in the 90% range. I had a score of 29/50 last year and have interviews this year so my jump was at least 5.5 marks.

Soapy

Guest Tyler

kaylen you said you got a 15 academic score with a 77 overall and a 78.5 last 60. On mine I got 15.4 with an overall GPA of 73.5 and last 60 at 79% (with pre-reqs at 69%), so I don't know how i got the same score as you. Maybe they do count the last 60 credits as more weighty, which gives hope to those who have already finished their undergrad.

I have a question about the 10 year rule. If I started my first year in 1996 (fall) - 1997 (spring), then would I be able to use the ten year rule in my 2005 application for the 2006 school year, or the 2006 application for the 2007 start year? And If it's for 2006 application then would they knock off my spring semester (1997). I hope that makes sense :)

Tyler

Guest Ollie

Hi Folks,

I talked to admissions today and said (in a nicer way) "come on I only missed by 0.01!" They were very nice but basically said that there were a number of people right at the cut-off and there is nothing they can do. As far as people cancelling or missing an interview, they said that pretty much never happens. So I made my feedback appointment, and I am feeling very hopeful for next year!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Tyler,

I have a question about the 10 year rule. If I started my first year in 1996 (fall) - 1997 (spring), then would I be able to use the ten year rule in my 2005 application for the 2006 school year, or the 2006 application for the 2007 start year? And If it's for 2006 application then would they knock off my spring semester (1997)

With respect to the ten year rule, it applies to marks that lie exactly ten years or before the year of your application. So, using my application this year as an example, I asked for the ten year rule to be applied and thus, all marks that were recorded in 1993 or prior were disregarded during the GPA calculations. In terms of your situation, based on how the ten year rule has previously been applied, then if you applied this September, you could have all of your marks that were recorded in the year 1994 or prior disregarded. Likewise, if you applied in September 2005 for admission in 2006, then you would have all of your marks from 1995 or prior disregarded.

Be careful though! If any of your pre-requisite courses fall in any of the years which you wish to be disregarded with the ten year rule, then you must have other credits in those disciplines that have been earned in the last ten years. (This is why I could not have the ten year rule applied to my first application.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Well I don't feel as bad now... I got 34.02... but 34.49 and 34.23 put that to shame! :P It hurts because it's been 33 for the last two years, and my non-academic score actually DROPPED despite my having gone to great lengths to improve it!

I do have other interviews, so hopefully this is a moot point... I'm just a little disappointed that my own home province doesn't want me :( haha oh well...

Guest kaylen

Tyler:

That is interesting about your scores....but maybe the marking scheme changed this year? To be honest, I have no idea what my academic score is this year. I just figured since it hadn't changed the last two years, and the last two years I had 15, maybe they changed the way they give out points. Otherwise, it means that my non-academic score went up by more than 4. (and to be quite honest, I made very few changes in this year's application...I just went into more detail about the work I had already done)

Apna - that sucks that your non-academic score declined despite the fact you tried to improve it! You would figure that the score would at least stay the same, provided that you didn't remove anything from your application. But as others have alluded to, maybe with the new style of application, the points awarded system really changed. I tell you, UBC admissions really keeps you guessing!

Kaylen

Guest thatuvicguy

Just a quick note about the NAQ assessment. During our info session here at UVic I asked Dr.Frinton about the subjectivity of assessing points to extracurricular activities. She acknowledged that this has been a problem in the past and that they are working on improving this. But she also said that applicants should feel relatively at ease because they are somehow compared to the rest of the pool in this portion of the assessment. I assume that she was not simply referring to the fact that applicants are in the end compared to each other in the granting of interviews. It sounded rather like she was referring to some intra-pool comparison that occurs in the process of the assessment. How exactly this was accomplished was not clear and with all the other questions I wanted to ask, I didn't pursue the topic but it certainly left me wondering what she meant. Perhaps she was just fudging her answer...

Cheers,

thatuvicguy

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there uglyorange,

I guess I was a borderline applicant last year. This year I took a long, hard look at my application and resolved to: 1) completely revamp my essay; 2) pay extra attention to the wording and construction of my non-academic submission. I and others read and re-read each. This resulted in numerous rounds of editing and lots of hours of work to reach a final submission with which I was happy. I don't know my non-academic score this year, but I'm assuming that it may have crept up a point or two--at least I made sure that, due to any sort of subjectivity, the score wouldn't fall. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest klukyboy

Looks like they're still coming out. I just got mine today. Made the in province cut off, but not the OOP. My non-academic was a lot lower than I would have expected. Oh well, I've received invites from every other school I applied to so I'm not stressing out that much.

Cheers all

Guest ec416

Klukyboy, my story is similar to yours. Missed the OOP cut off (39.79) 'cause of lower than expected non-academic score. I'll have to book a feedback meeting to find out why UBC doesn't like me :( .

I wasn't quite as lucky as you though. Received several rejection letters from other schools. I hope I'll hear some good news from U of T soon. All this wait is killing a lot of brain cells.

Guest gonzo23

Darnit,

Got my scores today (and rejection). 39.67. I made the BC cutoff... oh if only I lived in BC. I guess I shouldn't be too upset since that's a decent score and reaching 42 is difficult. But, as with you guys my non-academic was lower than expected as well!

Better luck next time!

Cheers.

Guest shudvbeenafarmer

Also got my rejection letter today. Thank god for this board so I knew it was coming and wasn't holding out hope anymore.

I went UP 3.5 points in my academics (that is a lot!!!) from two years ago and went DOWN 1 point in my non-academic score. Made the BC cut off but not the OOP. Again but closer this time.

How in the world did I go down in the non-academic when I've only been involved in way more things and continued for two more years (consistently) what I had already been involved with? Really, most people dont' know how I do it all. I suppose it has to do with the subjectivity of it all.

Well, at least I went up a lot in my academics so something is moving in the right direction and I definitely give UBC credit for spending the time and effort on these letters so at least you know where you stand. I really do commend them for it. And they give you feedback interviews! Amazing. Such a humane and positive thing to do! After all, this is all about learning and improving isn't it? A true sign of a great school.

All the more reason why I do admit for being disappointed that I was not invited for interview! (that and loving mountains and ocean).

Oh well, I'm going to call and ask and discuss...that is for sure.

Good luck to all with interviews...give it your best shot...if succesful...you'll be landing yourself a highly sought after spot. Be proud!

Here's to better luck next year and not giving up!

-Farmer

Guest coastal79

I just wanted to add a little bit of hope to those of you who just missed getting an interview, and especially to those of you who missed it by alot. Last year I only applied to UBC because I was abroad and couldn't afford to come back for multiple interviews, and also because I was overconfident. Reality hit when I didn't get an interview and got the following score:

Academic 18

Extracurric 7

That's right, 7, so I missed an interview by 9 points last year.

Now the good news. I wasn't in school last year so my academic wouldn't have changed, however, I'll be interviewing at UBC this weekend. Doing the math, that means my EC mark went up 9.5 points. In that year I went abroad and worked and that's it. I didn't volunteer because, with a loan I wanted to pay off (and did), I couldn't afford to. What I did do on my application this year, was work with the marking scheme that I was given from last year's application (do a review asap-I waited until July, and could have used the extra months to help my application). In the past (remember it might have changed for this year), UBC gave out points in each category up to a max of five. However, to get a point or half-point, they amount of time that you put into something didn't always matter. For example, under "Diversity of Experience" you can get .5 for "independent travel outside of North America" and .5 for "travel outside of N. America with organization or with family". So, numerous trips and 21 countries gave me the same half-point as a friend of mine's 3 week trip to Europe, and the fact that my family never took a trip outside of N. Am, prevented me from getting that other half-point......silly. But, the point system can be used to your advantage if you know the template they are working with. As an example, on this year's application I mentioned taking piano as a child and the fact that I write short stories and poetry-things I didn't mention last year. Using last year's marking scheme, I would've gotten an extra point (.5 each) for those activities. I like to hike: .5 points; I was captain of a soccer team in high school, one more point; I did alot of fundraising in high school, .5 again- the list goes on and on.

Get your application reviewed, figure out how the new system works, and use the knowledge to your advantage. If you want to be a doctor badly enough, you will suceed.

Cheers

Guest McCarey007

I personally have reservations about UBC releasing their point system for the non-academic section. I know they did it in previous years. I hope with the new system, they will not be revealing as much as they did before (ie. you get 0.5 points if you did X and 1.0 points if you did Y). Let's face it, we have students who "package" their application to fit their marking scheme. Not unless UBC makes this entire public, such as posting it up on the website, it severely disadvantages first-time applicants who don't have access to this information.

I did receive an interview this year, and am really happy about it. But I just don't think UBC should be divulging so much information during the debriefing session....My two cents :rolleyes

Guest kaylen

Hey MaCarey,

I totally agree with you. I am getting my first interview ever this year, never having the benefit of knowing what I had to do. This year I just decided to put down everything I had ever done in my life on the application. Funny, the things I thought would have made the biggest impact in the past (my work experience and extensive volunteering) didn't really do much for me. It seems all the small things I did added up somehow though. I am surprised that someone divulged so much to some applicants. I never had that benefit during my post application meeting. Maybe I just didn't ask enough questions. But as you said, people can really "dress" their application if they wanted to.

Kaylen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Just playing the devil's advocate :evil ... There is at least one counter argument to those presented above on the issue of whether or not to release the information. That is, if an applicant is intrepid enough in their wish to enter medical school to attend one of these information sessions and receive more information, then why should they not benefit from that information? Firstly, the information has not been garnered surreptitiously--any other applicants (aside, presumably, from first-timers) can receive it). Secondly, the characteristics of resourcefulness and inquiry involved in obtaining the information are two that are generally desirable for doctors-to-be. :)

Also, the process of obtaining your application review information is not unlike that of any of us browsing Ian's board or SDN on a regular basis. We presumably come here because we receive the opportunity to share material that is beneficial to our efforts to enter medical school. We hear unofficial and off-the-cuff tidbits about the various medical schools as well as other applicants' experiences on these boards. In many cases, this may allow us to be advantaged relative to our co-applicants who know nothing of these boards. Should these sorts of fora be restricted because some folks just haven't gotten around to finding them? (Although I do my best at spreading the word. :) )

Reflecting upon it, there seems to be a Darwinian-esque dynamic to the process of applying to medical school. Many resources are there to be had, and it may be in your best interest, as a medical school applicant, to find them as they offer a degree of advantage in the process of applying to medical school. However, the very skills that allow you to find the best resources are those which will may also contribute to your success in finally sitting your bum in a medical school seat in any given September. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest uglyorange

That's what I meant by the "money" factor in applying. coastal, you mentionned that you didn't volunteer because, with a loan you wanted to pay off (and did), you couldn't afford to. True be told, there are some people who have no responsibilities and have lots of money and who manage to get into medicine. Nevertheless, I know that people are not equal and society has a hierachy. I myself have to take care of a sick family member and have no time to volunteer any more.

What grounds are there for special letters of consideration?

Guest uglyorange

I have a question regarding the sports section on the NA section:

I enjoy going mountain biking on my own. Could I put that on my application? How could I reference it to someone if I'm on my own?

Guest uglyorange

Hey Coastal,

Do they group all of your travel experiences together? Let's say someone goes to X country for 1 week and then Y country for 3 days. Does each trip get a score? Also, what if you travel only to the US? Is that worth less than going overseas?

Guest coastal79

uglyorange: all the travel experiences were grouped together, grand total .5. Had to be out of NA to count. As far as mountain biking goes, why not put it down, even without a reference. I didn't reference any of my trips-if they want to ask me about them to test me, they are welcome to. I also used my girlfriend as a reference for scuba-diving-again, if they doubt me, they can ask me about it.

I'd like to point out though that the system has changed from last year, points may or may not have been distributed in a similar manner this year. Personally, I would bet on a very different system-how else could I have gotten a score that was so much higher.

But as you said, people can really "dress" their application if they wanted to.

Let's face it, we have students who "package" their application to fit their marking scheme.

Why wouldn't you "package" your application? My U of T essay was different from my UBC essay, which was different from my U Manitoba essay etcetera etcetera. Each school is looking for slightly different characteristics, so as an applicant you should do your best to show that you have those charcteristics. In my case, everything in my application was genuine-it was just a matter of actually putting everything down this time.

Cheers

You said that you have to care for a sick family member and have no time to volunteer, why don't you put that down on your application next year? Caring for an ailing family member requires lots of compassion, patience, and dedication. It also provides you with an opportunity to learn and feel what's it like to be on the other side of the fence. so when you become a doctor, you'll always remember your experience and can empathize with your patients better. Don't stress about the volunteering stuff or travelling overseas.

Just base your posts, i also notice that you said you don't have money... If i remember correctly, on the application it did have a section on "independence" and "SELF REliance.". Unless you're relying heavily on family assistance or government assistance.. otherwise, if you have to slave to put bread on the table, that should bring you more points.

I don't think Coastal79 made things up to score points. But knowing what each school needs or emphasizes allows the applicant to emphasize certain aspects of their experiences, and so, grabs the attention of the evaluators (who i believe would scan your applications for specific things rather than contemplating on your applications and grading on your thought processes or writing styles).

Another thing, i think what medical schools dread the most is having students drop out in the middle of their training especially when it gets tough (like clership/residencies etc). So they would want to make sure that the admitted students are absolute sure and truly understand what entails in becoming a doctor. How can you test for this? If i was the admission controller.. I would want to see perserverance at applying. My girlfriend was ranked 4th in term of graduating gpa in the faculty of science (she did combined honours program chem/biochem at UBC)... She got in medical school on the 1 st attempt and promptly dropped out in the spring.

Hope that helps with your application.

tea

fyi: the top guy with an overall graduating gpa of 96% was picked up by Microsoft instantly after graduation.

Archived