Premed 101 Forums

intermittent volunteer experience

Guest zippy5678

Guest zippy5678

ok, one more question..

how do i go about listing intermittent volunteer experience on my 48-item sketch..

for example, i've volunteered 4 months of summer but then stopped during the school year, then resumed it again the following 4 months of summer.. do I list the same activity twice, once for each period, or do i just list it once.. I think it;s more logical to list both periods since that's more time spent volunteering and therefore more experience gained and it also shows committment, etc. but I hope listing it twice would not be looked upon as sketch-padding. Any advice would be appreciated.

zz

Guest zippy5678

I actually thought about the summers 2003, 2005 way but the thing is that the space given for title description isn't that much to be that elaborative. I'd rather use the space to elaborate on the experience itself. And then there's also the issue of how do we deal with the period: month/year to month/year. It would seem that we volunteered for a continous 3 years or so.

Jochi, did you decide that by yourself or did someone advise you to do this way. omsas don't actually help out with stuff like that, and i think med schools would think we're crazy if we called them about something like this.

cheers,

zz

Guest coolguy3650

I had something like that and I put down the entire period, including months that I wasn't actually volunteering. I think that's better than writing seperate entries (and I was advised as such on these boards).

If I were you, I wouldn't claim a volunteer experience spanned 2 years if you only put in time over the summers. My suggestion: put it in one entry, enter the dates that it spanned and put in the description "summers" or "summers only". They can't criticize you for that. Without the summer description, it could be strongly argued that the claim is misleading.

So say I have volunteered for an activity from January to June and then stopped for two months and am volunteering again starting now, should I list it as two different items? This may seem to be stretching the number of actual items there are - I have really only done one activity, but this makes it seem like 2.

Guest coolguy3650

2 months isn't an overly long break, so I would just put it down as one activity. The summer thing I guess is different, since working in the summer means you didn't work for most of the year.

Archived