Premed 101 Forums

When to apply?

Guest swk21

Hi,

I'm in my last year of my program, and I'm planning to do another bachelor degree in East Asian studies, which will only take 2 years to complete it.

My question is, when should I apply for Med school during my second bachelor? Do I apply at the end of my first year? and how is the GPA be considered in this case??

Thanks

Guest Jochi1543

Apply the same way you would if this were an oridinary 6-year program. Take your MCAT in April of your 5th year or August during the summer break before your 6th year and apply then. Then if you get in, you will be able to start at med school in the fall of the same year you finish your East Asian Studies program, so you'll just have a summer off.

My understanding is that the schools will look at all 5 years' worth of grades you will have completed by the time you submit your application. But depending on each school's specific weighting system, you may be at an advantage. For example, I believe U of T allows you to drop 1 grade a year (semester?8o not sure) from your GPA for each year you've spent full-time in undergrad. So say if you had 2 average years and 3 excellent ones, and another student had 2 average years and 2 excellent ones, you actually have a slight advantage in terms of your GPA - even without the weighting system of course.:hat

Archived