Premed 101 Forums

Electronic Dictionary

Guest ADD100

Guest ADD100

I was wondering if any of you guys may be interested in something useful yet unpopular. I am talking about an electronic dictionary. Electronic dictionaries can save us from the nuisance of using gargantuan oxford dictionaries, are very portable and quick to use. I believe that this can be especially useful if you want to improve your vocabulary for the MCAT and/or will take English/humanities courses. I already have a Franklin MWD-1440. However, the comprehensiveness of this dictionary is very poor; in fact, there are even a few words of my own knowledge that are not defined. I discovered this after buying and I wish I had known earlier.

Anyways, I have been researching for a comprehensive electronic dictionary that contains the unabridged version of a reliable dictionary and thesaurus. I am very disappointed since I did not find even one electronic dictionary, having the features I need, sold in Canada. I did, however, find one dictionary that I liked: the Sharp PW-E500. The following are the features of this dictionary:

Dictionary contents: Oxford Dictionary of English (335,000 words)

Thesaurus contents: New Oxford Thesaurus of English, (>600000 synonyms)

Quotations contents: Oxford Dictionary of Quotations (20,000 entries)

Source: www.sharp.co.uk/Product.aspx?ID=1022

Also, if you are interested, have a look at the brochure: www.sharp.co.uk/resources...ochure.pdf

The ‘full-text’ versions (something that Franklin dictionaries lack) of the above books are stored in one small device. I can not find a single electronic dictionary sold in Canada with comparable stats. Unfortunately, the above dictionary is only sold in the UK and, since I am going nuts after it, I plan to ask my uncle, who lives in UK, to buy and ship it to my residence in Canada. My brother says that an electronic dictionary is not a good buy because I can also use the internet. I, however, find it very distractive to be sitting before a computer when reading or studying.

Do you have any suggestions about how else I can get this product? Do you know of a better deal?

Archived