Premed 101 Forums

How many Out of Province Interviews???

Guest ren

Does anyone know how many out of province interviews are being offered this year??

I know there are 5 spots for oop applicants, but have no clue about the number of interviews what with the expansion and all.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there ren,

UBC has extended 27 MD program interviews to out-of-province applicants this year. There are a maximum of 5 spots for out-of-province applicants. That is, the expansion has not increased the number of seats that are being allocated to out-of-province candidates.

Also, FYI, I was told that the first five out-of-province offers that were made last year were all declined by the successful applicants, in lieu of offers from medical schools from their home provinces.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

thank you for the reply.. i have just discovered these msg boards and they are proving to be quite helpful!!:D

Where did u find out that information?? Is it on the BC site... I looked and looked but could not find it.:b

thanks again,

ren

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again ren,

I received the information directly from the folks in Admissions, during a phone call that I made after receiving my invitation.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

The Admissions Office couldn't release the information re: the number of offers that needed to be made to fill the five out-of-province spots, or indeed, if they were actually filled. They only mentioned that the first five offers were gratefully declined. :rolleyes

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there jmh2005,

Thanks for your note. There's only one UBC interview and it's roaring closer: Friday, March 12th. It's one interview with a panel of three. If you might be referring to other interviews, Calgary is the Sunday following UBC and then The Chicago Medical School is on April 7th.

Cheers, and I hope school is going well for you, :)

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there jmh2005,

Thanks very much for that. :D

Great to hear that you're loving clerkship. Do you have an idea of your residency leanings at this point? Have any specific rotations seemed more enjoyable than the others? :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest jmh2005

Well...I'm leaning Family Medicine/Emergency Medicine...I'm going to apply to both, but likely the 2+1 vs. the 5 year...I've done Peds and now I am half way through Obs/Gyn which I actually like quite a bit so far (like the obs a bit more than the gyne...)...but I've also done lots of electives...4 weeks of ER, 4 weeks of surgery and 4 weeks of Family and I've realized I just like too many things in medicine to just do 1 area..hense the FM/EM idea...now I'm really getting this UBC thread off track...I'm at jmhmd2005@yahoo.com if you want to chat some more!!

Archived