Premed 101 Forums

Which Chemistry course to take at UofT?

Guest Windig0

Guest Windig0

hello incoming freshmen here

:P

there seems to be two options for first year chemistry:

either CHM138H1+139H1 or 151Y1

I'm asking this because I'm planning on applying to American medical schools as well, and a vast portion of them require some form of organic chemistry + lab.

Guest wab8611

neither of these are condsidered for a pre-req in organic chem.. in order to get a full yr course +parctical + tutorial you will need to take a 2nd year chem..

im pretty sure of this

Guest 4shattered4

CHM138 is a half course so F refers to Fall (Sept to December) and S refers to spring (January to April) and you can choose when you want to take the course.

Guest arjuna83

At UofT Mississauga, courses dedicated to organic chemistry are only available during 2nd year (CHM242H and CMH243H). So I'm guessing that UofT St.George has a similar set-up?

CHM138 is the first half of organic chem. CHM247 fulfills the second half of it. So if you need a full year of organic chem, you have to take both those. I believe there is also a full year organic chemistry course in 2nd year too...

Guest Windig0

so that means I would have to go through the CHM138H1+CHM139H1 freshmen year, and CHM247 second year to be eligible for med school in the US?

Hi,

Depends what you need as a prereq. If you need a full credit of organic chem, then CHM138+247 will count.

Now if you also need a full credit of phys chem, then CHM139+CHM220 should count. You should check with the schools, and perhaps email them the course descriptions.

www.chem.utoronto.ca/unde...es/1st.htm

www.chem.utoronto.ca/unde...es/2nd.htm

Archived