Premed 101 Forums

dental students with significant others

Guest yukontim

Guest yukontim

Hi everyone

I'm applying for sept 04 and I have a question: For those of you in dental school and who have a significant others, have you found that you have enough time for your relationship? Does it depend on the year you are in? Also, are there dental students reading this who have kids? Its getting toward that time for us, so I'm wondering if its reasonable or if its better to wait. Thanks in advance.

cheers

Guest LestatZinnie

it's a very valid question. in my med/dent class many people are in relationships, albeit quite stable ones (>2 years), so the lack 'spending time together' is not too serious a problem. i myself thought it would be big problem since i'm long distance as well, but school is so damn busy that you just don't hv time to worry about these other stuff.

there are at least 3, 4 people in my class that i'm aware of that recently had kids (one had it a few days before a midterm...stress!!). i can't fathom how they do it, since most people in my class can't even take care of themselves (at least not financially). one guy i know had some money put away and his wife stays home and takes care of the kid. i think it's more feasible if your significant others can take care of the kid because for most people (excluding the super bright), professional school is another level from undergrad and warrants all the studying time you can afford.

Guest yukontim

Thanks for you're reply. I figured having a kid would be stretching my time really thin, but its good to know that people have done it and havn't exploded or gone insane. Doing long distance is tough, LestatZinnie, I sympathize.

Have you found that your workload varies year to year, or has it been consistent throughout? I'm wondering in case her baby urges can't wait until the end of school.

Guest LestatZinnie

hi i'm only in 1st year, but from what older students tell me the years only get tougher (although more interesting). In the first two years years you'll be spending your life studying, and the latter two clinical years there's little studying and mostly treating patients. i'm not sure if that means there is no work to do once you get home from the clinic, but they do tell me that the stress is higher in clinical years because you have to be responsible for your patients and when ppl fail dental school, they often fail in their last two yrs due to lack of clinical skills (rather than book skills as in first two years)

Guest toothy jr

At my school it is probably more likely to have to repeat a preclinical year. In any case people do get married and have kids during dental school, but (if there is any control over it) probably the best time to welcome a new family member would be just before the start of school, so that the nerve-racking third trimester is after the stressful finals. Not speaking from experience, of course :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bigheadbebe

Well, for those who have significant others, I heard UBC has the highest rate of dumping significant others... I know some of my friends get in med/dent in UBC and lost their significant others one way or another. Perhaps is their program that change their attitude towards their old friends?

Reason? Well, guess one of them must be the guy or girls meet someone more attractive or smart... as you know all of students who get in are smart and cunning otherwise they won't be able to get in... so they always have 1 thing in common, find a way to get to the top and spare all others around... Philosophy 2: Too busy to deal with other half and left him/her suffer...as you guys just discussed...but the other half never understand how busy the program will be afterall... Philosophy 3: Blame on the first PBL in med/dent program...that is... teach ppl how to deal with harassment... Why? b/c students will use those strategy to deal with other half in case of sth goes wrong... or even a potential request for dating... that makes thing worse as ppl get scare and will disappear and end up with no friend and only career to deal with. Why? B/c why chase a med/dent student instead of someone from another career who can talk and listen? :rollin

Guest Bigheadbebe

Some of them are disguised to be good, but they don't have heart!!! Just read the province on June/July there is a dentist so famous in Commercial & Broadway area... I think I read someone talk about this guy already in the past in this forum...

Afterall, the worse thing is student excessively use the harrassement PBL stuff to friend or old pal that bug them as brother or sister, and they think they are harrassing them, that's bad! Wait until they turn into professionals, they will apply their learned skill (be it medical, dental, or harassement PBL) to whoever... randomly & unethically!!! (as they have power and status...):(

Guest Bigheadbebe

My friend once told me... one of the first group meeting during your entrance year probably in Aug... Did they give you handouts on what to do with harrassment in med/dent school with all the name of students in med/dent and Group you are in? Now you remember eh?

There you can find tons of example of how to deal with someone who like to court you and how to make them hate you... Fortunately, Lestazinnie didn't go to UBC and choose McGill... first thing UBC teach you is kick your fans and admirer!:rollin

That's exactly what happen to one of my other friends who was scared by his admirer (as both of them experience servere depression on different time zone) and can't even talk to her since they seen each other with peace in Physiology 301. And recently he was attacked by another sibling of med/dent product ;)

Just another concrete example of the effects of education can lead to friendship destruction.

Guest LestatZinnie

it's quite shocking what you're saying, i mean why would the faculty teach students "how to deal with someone who like to court you and how to make them hate you"? Are you sure it's not some kind of joke by the older year students?

here at mcgill we also have small groups but we learn how to deal with patients, not how to repel admirers. Come to think of it, why does the ubc faculty assume that med/dent students would have admirers anyway? Aren't we all supposed to be geeks? :P

btw bcdentgirl...is ubc on a pass/fail system and does the medicine component run for 11/2 or 2 yrs? thx and hope studying is going well for ya :D

Guest bcdentalgirl

The harrassment seminar mostly addresses issues like racism, sexism, etc. Like what if a member of your PBL was talking trash about another student? How would you handle it? By no stretch of the imagination could this seminar ever lead to the destruction of friendships - unless of course you have serious psychological problems.

Lestat, UBC is on a pass/fail system. For midterms and finals, we find out our raw score (eg 80%), but all you have to do is get above 60 and you pass. Amazingly enough, you still see people arguing for a 1% increase here and there (like for ambiguous q's). Why do they care? I really don't know.

The dentistry class is raw graded tho (eg A, B, C).

Edit: I didn't answer the other 1/2 of your question: we're witht he meds til the end of 2nd yr.

Guest LestatZinnie

bcdentgirl:

thanks for the info!! i'm not sure about UBC but here the top 10% of class (which is the top 3 people) do get a special note on their transcript. If ubc does the same then it might explain the haggling over 1% (or the ppl just hvn't grown out of their undergrad mentality yet)

:\

Guest Bigheadbebe

So finally someone in med/dent admit there is a harassment seminar in UBC... :hat

As you just answer that it is used for racist and sex thing... so student will simply apply them freely to their potential invitation for going out from friend... They used it without knowing the effect... I know you have to argue with it as you are now in 2nd yr... But that's exactly my friend told me he/she was being treated by someone he/she knows for more than 3 years!!! And only recently at least 2 of his/her friends who are med/dent treat him/her like that, not other friend... |I

On another note...why bother to get 1%, simply b/c all of the guys/gals that was in want to be on the top and spare all around... simple psychology... see I am not psycho afterall as I can think of this simple fact and not like someone (who imply I am psycho... so mean as being a med/dent)... Without the 1% how can they get into the speciality they want? Oh...you might want to argue that they just don't look at GPA... OK then they depend on interview etc... that's why ppl get in (during the last 10 years) are more evil than ever before and produce bad dentist/physician outside just like a concrete example from the one at Commercial & Broadway :rollin

Guest Bigheadbebe

According to the rule of this forum, we are not suppose to name person out even you know who he/she is... But if you really want to find him/her out, simply go to the Main library in UBC and read The Province June and July issues in Christmas or summer when you fly back (there are 2 articles at least talking about this dentist).... hopefully bcdentalalliance&faculty won't destroy the evidence by tearing them off... :smokin

Guest Guyver03

Are you guys talking about the dentist that was charged with sexual molesation of his patients? I remember it was on the news. I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules. If I did I apologize and I would remove it.

Archived