Premed 101 Forums

why dentistry?

Guest richie2003

Guest Francesco1001

Toothy,

To my knowledge, no one in our class has started doing any of the required volunteer hours. Most of us are probably a little hesitant because we don't wanna go up there and look like fools when were asked for something and can't identify it :D

We do start learning to put on the rubber dams next thursday.. Should be fun.

As of now, I'm not sure of the exact policy for setting up the volunteer hours.. I think it may just be a matter of approaching random 3rd and 4th years and asking, but I'll have to look into that.

Francesco

Guest toothy jr

Francesco,

I guess things move a bit slower in first year, I think the first time I went to assist was in the middle of October and I thought I was already really early. There is really no way anybody can learn enough about the clinic to be as useful as a real assistant, but it's still a good exercise in learning about how things are done at the school and an extra pair of hands is better than none! Putting a rubber dam on a live patient is in many ways very different from the mannikin! So instead of waxing teeth or visiting the anatomy lab come to the clinic and find an upper year! :)

As for the patient saturation problem: while very few new offices are springing up, there are dentists growing old who want to sell off or scale back their practice, so demand is not really at zero. Those with skills or connections will always find a place in the city, and I believe it's still feasible to find a relatively sparsely served area within an hour's drive from Toronto.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived