Premed 101 Forums

U of A Dentistry Requirements

Guest LaA Brown

Guest LaA Brown

Hi

I just finish my first year at U of C and I would like to go straight to U of A dentistry after my 2nd year. For the desntistry requirements, I'm still missing 2 organic chem and 1 bio chem. I will take organic chem during my second year but i won't be able to take biochem ( 2 organic chems are prerequisites). Do they consider me for admission after I complete ALL my pre-requisites? I will take biochem by correspondence after U of A gives me a conditional acceptance and try to finish it by June 15. Is this possible?

BTW anyone who get accepted do u mind posting your stats?

thanks

Guest dentwannabe

Hi LaA Brown,

I go to U of C too. To my knowledge you won't be able to complete the biochem requirement by correspondence by the June 15 deadline, and without it U of A won't accept you. I would suggest that you try to rearrange your schedule so that you can take bcem 393 this year. It's not that hard of a course, although I'm a bit biased since I'm a biochem major:) If you really can't take it this year, perhaps you should consider waiting until your third year to apply. That will also give you some more time to volunteer with a dentist. I posted my stats in the accepted/rejected/waitlisted thread.

Good Luck,

dentwannabe

Guest LaA Brown

hey dentwannabe

Is it necessary to volunteer for a dentist? U of A doesnt ask applicants for recommendation nor eassy. Are they gonna ask about volunteer experience during interview?

also, do u have any idea if stat 201 qualifies as a stat course for admission? i have heard someone said that only 211 and 213 qualify, but i email the admission officer and she said 201 is fine.

btw i was thinkin about taking bcem 341... wats the difference between 341 and 393?

thank you so much

Guest Ian Wong

Heya,

Is it necessary to volunteer for a dentist? U of A doesnt ask applicants for recommendation nor eassy. Are they gonna ask about volunteer experience during interview?
Do you otherwise have some clinical experience with dentistry? The idea about volunteering before applying to either medicine or dentistry isn't just to polish up your CV, but also to see if it's a field that you could envision yourself within. If you don't yet have a significant amount of experience yet, it's worth doing the legwork now to check the field out by doing some volunteering and job-shadowing before you commit four years of your life and tens of thousands of dollars to this endeavour. If you otherwise have a lot of experience in dentistry, volunteered or not, this should help you out with your application.

Ian

Guest Pearly Whites

Hi Dentwannabe, i saw your profile on the other post and i was wondering why you got rejected from U of T to see what my chances will be like for next year. did you even get an interview? was it your grades or the interview that got you? thx!!!

Guest dentwannabe

LaA Brown:

You're right, it isn't a requirement to volunteer for a dentist if you're only applying to U of A. However, like Ian explained, volunteering/job shadowing is a good way to expose yourself to all of the aspects of a dentists job, so that you're sure that it's the right field for you.

As far as the stats requirement, did you email Eleanor McIsaac? If she said that stats 201 is ok, then I'm sure it is. When she came and spoke at U of C in the fall of 2001 she said that only stats 213 would fulfill the requirement. So it sounds like they've decided to make the requirements less strict.

Bcem 341 is a bit easier than bcem 393 because bcem 341 doesn't have a lab. However, bcem 393 is a pre-req for all other bcem courses. If you're a natural science major (or pretty much any other major within biological science), you will need to take other bcem courses for your degree if you don't get into dent after second year, so you should take bcem 393.

Pearly Whites:

Ya, I did get an interview at U of T, but I didn't go to it due to my busy schedule. I just had U of A send my interview scores to U of T. So, I think U of T may have held that against me. My GPA might have also been a problem. I think that 3.9 is competitive for OOP applicants, and my GPA is slightly below that.

Good luck to you both,

dentwannabe

Archived