Premed 101 Forums

Student Loans and Scholarships and what not

Guest scooter

Guest scooter

Hey,

Incase you guys are procrastinators like me I thought i would give you a little heads up. The deadline for the scholarships and bursaries is fast approaching and you need to fill out a financial assessment thing. For this, you should know how much you are going to get in student loans from the government. However, the latter takes time as well... I realized today that I really had to get a move on it as the deadlines are all fast approaching and require other documentation and what not, so not so do-able the night before.

To this extent. Did anyone get their student number? Is it the same as the Banner Id# on the confirmation sheet for paying the 200$?

Good luck to the wait-listers, stick in there cause: it ain't over till it's over.:smokin

Guest HaliEngineer

Yep, Student number is Banner ID

And I was in the same boat RE: Student Loan assessment. I called in and Sharon Graham is on vacation, explained that my student loan assessment won't be in by the 14th, and was told to put that in as a note in the space under that area.

They will then fill in a number that they feel is typical. - But I will be waiting till the 14th to hand it in just in case.

I asked about appeals in the event that for some reason I don't qualify for student loans, and it was a bit unclear. I'll be trying to get in touch with them again before the 14th.

Good luck!

Guest scooter

Cool thanks.

If you apply online I believe it goes a lot faster than filling in the paper and mailing it in.

I am starting to get anxious now!!! We have only 54 Days till the first day of class!!

Guest MrNeuroscience

I should probably get moving on all that as well!

So if you don't have the student loan amount, is it better to approximate what you THINK you will receive? or to put a note under the box, and let them fill it in?

Looking forward to meeting you both!

Guest cedar05

I just applied for gov student loans (I have been out of high school for 4 yrs so my parents shouldn't matter) and it didn't ask me for any sort of budget (i.e didn't ask for tuition or living expenses or anything). Is this odd? Did I apply for the wrong student loan?

Thanks.

Guest HaliEngineer

I think on the NS student loan form, it asks your school and program. From this, they are able to get your tuition data from the school?

As for the other stuff, I'm pretty sure that there are given #'s when they're doing your assessment, so that everyone is given the same "opportunity" for a student loan. (I.e. assume 150$/month for utilities for every applicant, or something like that.)

Everything else comes from your taxes, so if you have medical costs or child support, that also gets considered, but things like charitable donations don't, because they're optional.

(My understanding of the system - not from the horse's mouth!)

Guest MrNeuroscience

I'm applying online for the government loans, and I've had to give a (rough) budget, and fill in all kinds of cr_p from my income tax return. Online it allows you to select which program you are applying for (bachelors, then Doctor of Medicine)

Guest cedar05

ya I had to tell them what school and give them a bunch of stuff from income tax return but no budget. MrNeuroscience where did they ask for the budget?

Thanks

Guest overjoyed

i'm confused.

in sharon's email she said to email the application as an attachment to tracy by July 21st..

but at the end of the application it says to submit the application to sharon by July 14th...

does anyone know which one is the right one?

Guest scooter
Completed applications with supporting information must be placed into your named file libraries located in the on the Admissions and Student Affairs Department Page on Medix. Please do not send an email with your information attached as we can no longer accept scholarship information in this format

That is from the Scholarships Preparation document.... it says there NOT to send stuff as e-mail attachments and to upload to our named folders... which we don't have yet but i just noticed that though we are not there yet as Med 1, Med 2 is now class of 2009... so i'm taking it that they are updating as I type. I also can't access the curriculum (though my computer does sometimes like to be wonky... mix that with the wonkyness of upgrades and I don't know what is the right wonk.... and i teach Engrish...:eek )

Anywho, if anyone knows where we upload things please let the lot of us know. As well it says on the front at the top that the deadline is the 21st which is the same deadline that is written on the Xle file . If any one knows please let us all know eh.

Can't wait to get started... then I can start to streessss;)

Guest JewelLeigh

The deadline for the third year class is July 21st. While I'm not 100% sure it's the same for you guys, I think it's probably a safe bet. :)

Guest zakiyaa

Hello everyone!

Just thought that I would let you know some things. I had a delightful chat with Tracy Teed, the administrative secretary.

Like many, I have had problems figuring out where and when to upload things. She asked me to please pass on the following to all entering Med I students (i.e., the class of 2010)...

We may directly email the financial aid excel spreadsheet as an email attachment. We also just have to email them and say...my name is "x" and I hereby grant permission for you to access my academic transcripts, etc....

So, one email and an email attachment is all we need...no uploading.

If you have further questions, email Tracy (see Dal website) or got to see her in person...

See y'all in August...

Zakiyaa:D

Guest candace13

Hi, I'm an NL resident going to DAL next year and I'm wondering if anyone knows if I would be able to apply for an NS student loan?

Guest scooter

Hey,

If you are from Newfoundland then you need to get a nfld loan. You just tell them which school you are going to and they provide you with the loan and you can cash it in Nova Scotia. It doesn't matter where you do your undergrad you always get your student loan from your home province.

Guest scooter

Hey,

Can anyone access the curriculum pages? Before I could but now access is denied. Are they simply updating the pages, or can others get in?

Can't wait to start,

Scooter

Guest scooter

I have a "vagabond" theme to my 20s.... :rollin so I guess I'll fit right in at orientation.

I think I was just looking too much on dalmedix and they cut me off:lol Where did you hear about the theme and do you have any more juicy gossip for us??

Zakiyaa: get writing your thesis, it ain't going to write itself :smokin

Update to my personal profile: I am now an award winner!!

"Frank Sinatra Award for the most consistently Appauling Karaoke"... this is at the prefectural (like a province or state but in Japan) level... i hope to move on to the Nationals and wow them with my horrible rendition of "shut up" by the BEPs. :hat (My friend's tell me I shouldn't be soo proud, but i don't normally win awards so I take what I can get :b )

Guest zakiyaa

Hey Scooter, I will let you in on a secret...I have trained monkeys sitting at typewriters and THEY are the muse behind the dread thesis. Actually, I'm in the last week of revisions prior to handing it in to the examining committee next week. Defense is two weeks thereafter...oi!

Juicy secrets...let's see...we each have a Med 2 buddy and it's a theme consistent with a very popular movie this summer (I have to keep you guessing)...Orientation week looks to be busy, but tons of fun...

Ask me some more questions and I might let fly a few more hints...

Sorry, I really don't mean to dangle carrots, but I am so tired of thesis writings. I'm returning the monkeys to Home Depot for a refund. They don't work very well. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Guest debbieL22

So, after having been accepted this week and sending in my deposit form already, I still haven't gotten any info telling me about the necessary preparations (shots/CPR/financial aid applications) or Dalmedix login. Does all this usually get sent to you after you pay the deposit? I sent Tracy an email, but it turns out she's on vacation until August 8th. If anybody has some info they could post or send to me, that'd be much appreciated, I'm just too excited to wait another two and a half weeks to get started! :b

Thanks!

ps. NBdancingMD, have you received anything yet? (I sent you a PM :) )

Guest scooter

Zakiyaa, your problem is being cheap... see yeah the home depot monkeys are A LOT cheaper than the Future Shop ones but you really get what you pay for... You totally can't trust the display model cause they tend to be the best of the best and they will never let you have the display model unless it's the last one... and for a decent thesis you need at least 10 good monkeys.... :lol

I have to admit, I am so dreadfully uncool that I have NO idea what movies are coming out... to my defence I live amoungst Rice Paddies and think going into the big city for a Star Bucks coffee is highclass.... However, using what few brain-cells remain after a week of going away parties (I love Japanese culture, the more hung-over and generally in pain I am the day after the more I show that I appreciated the party they had for me....) I am going to have to go with something someone also said about beards and Pirates... Pirates is it pirates??? It comes out next week here... and in theory it is summer... If it's pirates I'll be vindicated for my insistance during the last 4 years to carry around a Parrot on my shoulder whenever I go to a social function...

DebbieL2 - I will pm you with all the e-mails we got already pasted in.... if the message board won't let me fit it all in then I'll pm you my personal e-mail and then forward everything to your personal e-mail.

Cheers, 37 Days till Day 1 :)

Guest zakiyaa

My dear, I believe you just called me cheap!

Avast, my mateys, walk that dreaded board... *is that clue enough for you?*:P Savvy.... **smirks**

When do you get back to Canada, and Hali, Scooter? If you need help in finding a place to live, I would be happy to help...;)

Well, gotta shove off...my peg leg is getting eaten by termites.

As for reality bites, the thesis is in the final week of revisions. It will be done or I will be done. As they say in French, "je suis fini".... (too many years of French immersion and look at how I conjugate passe compose, parfaitement!)

Ta,

Zakiyaa|I

There comes a time in the summer where they switch over the classes from Med I to II etc and reupload and make changes to the schedule and all that kind of good stuff. If you still can't access the curriculum, that's probably why. Don't worry, you'll be able to get it when you need it.

Archived