Premed 101 Forums

Housing questions

Guest lululime

Guest lululime

How does one go about signing a lease when I'm not even in Nova Scotia? Is this all done through faxing contracts back and forth? Does anyone know if this is very risky?

Guest JewelLeigh

I did mine by faxing when I was out of Halifax...but, I was signing a lease to be living with a friend who was in Halifax and had checked out the place. Do you know anyone around who can check a place out for you before you commit? If so, then if it were me, I'd feel relatively safe...

Guest lululime

I'll only be in halifax for the weekend to look at places and I don't want to sign right away. I'm just scoping out places because I don't know anyone in Halifax. I wish that I had the time to stay longer. I'm still deciding if dal is the school for me so I don't want to sign the instant I'm there. I guess faxing will be okay then. To the waitlisters out there, I will decide by early next week.

• 1 month later...
Guest NBdancingMD

Does anyone have any suggestions about where to look online for apartments in Halifax? I'm in Europe until mid-August and would like to find a 1BR near Dal.

I leased an apartment I hadn't seen through fax etc last summer. My advice is that if that is your only reasonable option, to go with an apartment building that is with a larger company that you can sort of trust...I mean, the apartment you get might not be great, but I sort of saw it like moving into res in first year university - it was only for a year and you knew that certain standards would be upheld. Otherwise, there are also some great places that post lots of pictures and details online if you search them out.

Last year there was a housing document on medix for us that recommended some buildings. If you have access to that, that's a great resource too.

Archived