Premed 101 Forums

The deferral process...

Guest MrNeuroscience

Guest MrNeuroscience

Maybe one of the moderators, or someone that was deferred last year can clear up some of my confusion.

I know that a deferral means that they looked at your file, and can't yet make a decision, and that they will look again at your file at the end of June (another six weeks is going to be hard!). Will there still be spots open for any deferred applicants? Will those people all go on a waitlist? will any be rejected?

Does anyone know how far Dal historically moves in their waitlist?

I know I can just wait and find out, but not knowing what can happen is almost as bad as not knowing what will happen.

I appreciate any insight.

Guest Monurch

As someone who has been deferred in the past and is currently deferred this year, the answer is yes they can reject you (I received a rejection on July 5 after being deferred). It is my understanding that there is usually spots available for deferred applicants. How many, not sure.

Guest Madz25

I met a med student at the interview who didnt receive her acceptance until June 30th - so yes, I think there are still seats left and yes, I'm sure they reject deferred applicants as well.

As for the waitlist, I've heard that it moves VERY slow. Less than 10 people at best get off the waitlist. IMO, even that estimation is generous.

Any mods feel free to correct me!

Madz

Guest maven from the maritimes

So just to be sure - Mr Neuroscience, you have already received a letter saying you're deferred? I'm just wondering if letters of deferral have been sent out. I'm still waiting to hear anything and didn't think of the possibility of being deferred at this point. Seems really late!

Guest Madz25

Deferrals are sent by email following each meeting. There was no batch of "deferral letters" that was mailed out. I think you can be deferred at this point - there's over a month of adcom meetings left.

Madz

Guest MrNeuroscience

Yes, I was deferred a few weeks ago. Although I am trying to remain upbeat about it, I realize that within the next six weeks I have to have a concrete plan should I not gain acceptance. Dal's FAQ's state that roughly 20% of applicants are deferred, which would be about 50 people. Im going to guess that there will only be a few places left (guessing 5) by the time all the applicants have been sorted through, and with a slow moving wait list, I'm finding it hard to be optimistic.

Archived