Premed 101 Forums

Learning Resource Centre

Guest DancingDoc

Guest DancingDoc

Can anyone tell me more about the learning resource centre and the simulated patient program? Are these unique to Dal or is this a common educational tool for medical schools? Anyway just curious because it's one of my favorite things I've read about Dal's curriculum and just wanted to know more. Thanks!!

Guest JewelLeigh

Hi DancingDoc :)

I am not sure if the LRC and simulated patient program is unique to Dal...if I had to guess, I would say that it is unlikely.

In first and second year, we go to the LRC often (avg 1x/week or 2) to do 1 of two things:

1. Learn clinical skills (eg. intubation, IV placement, suturing). This is done mainly on very impressively designed "dummies" (with veins, lungs, all applicable anatomy for each skill).

2. Practice clinical history taking and examination skills. This is done with simulated patients. In first year, the focus is more history taking, while in second year, physical examination is the main issue. We take the history and examine the relevant systems on very well trained and knowledgeable simulated patients. There is always a lot feed back and opportunity for learning. Sometimes we are videotaped in order to view and critique ourselves.

The LRC is also where much training for "intro to clerkship" (first month of 3rd year before going into the hospital fulltime) takes place to refresh and solidify clinical skills needed in the hospital. OSCE (clinical exams) are also completed with simulated patients at the LRC throughout medical school.

Hope this answers your question :)

Archived