Premed 101 Forums

Not here for the interview

Guest maven from the maritimes

I have a dilemma. :rolleyes I'm currently on an internship in the West Indies and I'm not scheduled to come back until mid-March. I asked to have my early February interview changed, but they said the latest date is March 4th. I could request to leave my internship a couple weeks early and give up any chance of travelling around afterwards to come for the interview OR I could request a phone interview. Any suggestions?? :\

Guest MrNeuroscience

Hi there,

I would be inclined to return for the interview... Although that would ruin the end of your trip, I wouldn't trade in an interview for travelling around... which begs the question why would you schedule yourself to be away during such an important time in your application?

I suppose it also depends on if Dal is your number-one choice. Knowing how important the interview is to the application process at Dal, I think it could only hurt you to not be present for it and choose to interview by phone. Now I could be entirely wrong about the phone interview, but it's just a hunch.

Good luck

Guest JewelLeigh

Dal typically has a day later in March for OOPs applicants who cannot make the March 4th OOP interview date. You might be able to do the same. I would explain your situation, saying that you are willing to make concessions, but if there is another option (ie. an interview later in March) or a phone interview, then it would be very appreciated.

To warn you, I have never heard of telephone interviews at Dal or elsewhere, but that could be me.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies! I did call Dal and the latest they could reschedule me was March 4th - the last day for OOP interviews. I'll have to leave my internship early, but this is definitly top priority. Thankfully, my boss here is wonderfully understanding - he went to Dal, so I'm sure that helps things along!

As for me "scheduling to be away" during this important time - it was not under my control to decide when I wanted to do the internship. It if were, I would certainly not have this issue!! It was a fantastic opportunity I couldn't pass up. Besides, many interviews aren't until later march so there was a chance I wouldn't have had a conflict when I accepted the internship.

All that said, I'm super excited for the interview and the chance to hopefully meet some of you!

Best wishes all

Guest MrNeuroscience

Hi MFM

That definitely sounds like the best solution!... Congratulations on working it all out.

Good Luck with the rest of your travels, and of course, good luck in March.

Archived