Premed 101 Forums

Selection... interview and final

Guest natmac

Hi all,

I am sure this is asked ad nauseum but what are the criteria for being offered an interview at UBC for IPP?

How are interviews weighted? ie. If you are barely at the cutoff of their evaluation for an interview, does your interview performance really make the difference?

How is the final selection weighed (line them up in terms of score and knock them down or evaluate the whole application for strengths and select what they feel is best for UBC, like they do at other schools)?

Thanks!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

In the past, I believe the interview score counted for quite a bit. It's been a while since I've had to think about it, but somewhere I recall the interview being worth 50% of the final score that is used for ranking purposes. Therefore, even if your pre-interview score was low, you had a good chance to recoup some points via your interview performance. :)

The remainder of the component weightings have never been released, as far as I know, although I heard from one of my UBC interviewers that the MCAT counted for very little. Please bear in mind that these unofficial weightings applied during previous years and that the weightings may be different this year.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

When you take a look at the stats page for UBC last year, it shows your file score out of 50, and then your interview score out of 100. Do you think those scores are combined, meaning that the interview is worth up to 66%? Or do you think that the fact it is out of 100 merely represents a percentage?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Just a wee tidbit: in previous years, UBC applicants were interviewed by two people from whom two separate interview scores were submitted for consideration in the final selection process. This year, the panel of three interviewers will come to an agreement on one score, which shall be used in the final selection of applicants.

Also, another new aspect to the selection process this year is that during the final review, the committee shall be blinded to the name and sex of each applicant. UBC, like a number of other schools across the country last year, had a greater proportion of female matriculants than male.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Interesting...how should this really matter? When making the final selection, are they not just combining your interview and application scores and offering admissions based on these figures? Why would whether or not they are blind to your sex make any difference?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there kaylen,

I imagine that UBC are trying to protect themselves from any unjust accusations of gender bias during the final selection process. It's not an inconceivable possibility that such biases would occur here as they tend to creep into similar sorts of processes. It also wouldn't be shocking if the other schools that experienced this disproportionate female to male ratio adopted this approach.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Kirsteen, you have been invaluable! :)

I saw you mention on another thread that the interview was going to be the basis of the decision for the OOP. Any ideas if this is the case with the resident pool? (I am leaning toward it being the same system but who knows? :\ ).

Congrats on having a great score, BTW.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there natmac,

Thanks. :) I don't know how the post-interview assessments are to be done for in-province candidates, sorry. You might wish to give Admissions a wee shout to ask as I really don't want to wear out my welcome. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived