Premed 101 Forums

OOP

Guest soapyslicer

Guest soapyslicer

Hi guys,

I was trying to distract myself this afternoon and actually read all the admissions FAQ's on the UBC website. Interestingly there is alot of stuff regarding the process this year. In particular I was surprised to read that they will only offer 5 OOP seats this year. I sure am glad I'm a BCer.

There was also a fair amount answers to items regarding the NMP if anyone has not read it yet. I am so bored, I need to find a distraction. I can't imagine how I would have managed had I not had school last semester to keep my brain thinking of other things.

Cheers,

soapy

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I don't think that number of seats has changed much from previous years. :rolleyes Also, I would assume that the out-of-province applicant pool is reduced a fair bit by applying the minimum file review score for out-of-province candidates. It would be interesting to know, though, if the proportion of seats available for out-of-province candidates to the number interviewed is similar to that for in-province candidates.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

For anyone interested in the out-of-province opportunities at UBC, I was speaking to someone in Admissions today and learned a few things that I thought might be of interest.

Firstly, this year's out-of-province, pre-interview assessment median score was higher than last year's. This year's was 42 for out-of-province applicants, while those achieving a score of 40 were interviewed last year. This year, exactly five spots will be made available in the medical school class. Although 23 out-of-province candidates interviewed last year, this year there are 28 of us. From this point on, we shall be assessed separately by the selection committee, i.e., in a different pool from that of the other interviewees. Also, a separate waiting list for out-of-province candidates will be maintained once the initial offers are sent.

Also, post-interview, apparently our pre-interview scores, i.e., academics and non-academics will be largely irrelevant. From here on in we will all be on the same level, so it sounds as though it's our interview performance that will determine whether or not we are offered one of the five spots.

How many of the remaining 27 out-of-province folk hang about here? :)

Cheers, and good luck everyone.

Kirsteen

Hey Kirsteen....

Did you get any indication as to whether the median score increased or decreased for regular applicants? I know it probably isn't of interest to you, but thought you may have caught wind.

Gee, I wish that they only used your interview score when deciding all of the other spots as well!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there kaylen,

No, I didn't get an idea of the in-province cut-off. Actually, I didn't even ask for the out-of-province cut-off score to begin with. :)

As to the in-province, post-interview assessment, I don't see why a similar approach would not be used. Actually, scratch that, I can think of one reason for it. The variance among pre-interview scores for the relatively small number of out-of-province interviewees is probably a lot less than that for in-province interviewees. Therefore, the inclusion of the pre-interview score in the final assessment process would probably not help to generate too much spread among the out-of-province interviewees, but it might for the in-province interviewees.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest soapyslicer

Kirsteen,

Sounds like a big congrats needs to be sent to you for getting such a high score. If I remember right you only had 40 last year? Well done. Might not be that many seats to compete for now but aleast your eyes are wide open going in!!!

soapy

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

No, nothing was mentioned (nor did I ask) about the letters of reference, sorry. Interesting thought, though. Is anything mentioned on the UBC Admissions site about it? (If I recall correctly, I think there may have been.) :rolleyes

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey, you're right...that is a hell of a score you have! Congrats! Why do you want in to UBC so much? (you've probably answered this before, but I am new to the site)

Kaylen

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there soapy and kaylen,

Thanks very much for the congrats. If I had known in advance that this years cut-off would be 42, I don't think I would have been feeling too grand prior to last Friday's e-mail. :) Actually, regarding last year's score, all those out-of-province folks who achieved a score of 40 were interviewed. I fell short by one icky, wee point.

Ah, there are many neat reasons to go to BC and UBC! For one, I love many aspects of Vancouver and would look forward to living there for a long while. Flying over Toronto on those return flights is often a little dismaying when I look out and see no huge mountains. I'd pack one in my suitcase if I could. Likewise, there are many reasons to take advantage of living in other parts of the country and attending other medical schools, but at this point, I'd be thrilled to be part of any entering class of any one of the schools to which I have applied. They're all in great cities and each program has common and unique strengths. :)

Cheers, and best of luck,

Kirsteen

Guest soapyslicer

Hi Kirsteen,

So you increased your score by 3, well done. It sure raises the point we made last year about the variations in non-academic scoring. I'm guessing that is where you increased such a significant amount(I may be wrong though). I wonder if they are using the same marking system.

soapy

I've heard that they were going to change the marking system this year to make it more objective. I guess we won't find out until people start getting their feedback.

Guest soapyslicer

coastal

I had a difference of 3 marks just in my non-academics from one year to the next. Worst thing was that it went down instead of up and I had significantly more stuff on it. It appears this year it is back up!!

soapy

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there soapy,

I'm fairly fortunate, as I believe that my overall score has only increased from year to year. Previously, those point increases were from the non-academic section of the application; however, this year I think my academic profile changed a good bit, i.e., I'm fairly sure that both my last 60 credits and overall GPA moved into another "bracket". As to the non-academic side, I had a few new bits that could have helped a little this year, but who knows; in any case, I'm happy. I hope tomorrow is a happy day for some more of you guys, too. :D

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived