Premed 101 Forums

Masters of Biotech/MBA joint programs as backup

Guest xylem33

Guest xylem33

Just wanted to get anybody's thoughts on these programs, Calgary is the only university at present, that offers this program in Canada. The MBA part I believe is completed in 1 year so obviously, it's not the same training you get as the 2 year MBA. Do you think that pharmaceutical/biotech companies would value the MBA part of these joint degrees as if it was a regular MBA? I'm aware that MBA training generally will put you in management/executive positions, but I wonder if this joint degree will too, or is it simply preparing us to work in labs/research but have some business background - rendering this degree no different from the one that UTM gives you.

Traditionally, you would have to do a thesis based MSc and then get working experience before you apply to b-school, but with these joint degree programs, you can apply straight from undergrad. You still have to write GRE adn GMAT of course. It seems like a sweet deal but almost too good to be true.

Guest Lurkergonepublic

I've looked into this program a bit, and still consider it as a backup (although still a competitive one). It definately leans towards the business/biotech side of the sciences - probably ideal if you want to be involved in the strategic management of a reasearch company, because you will have some business training and some science training.

It's probably not as good as an MBA from a pure business perspective, nor is the science Masters as credible as a thesis based one (from a research perpective), but not bad if you want something in between. I know people who've done it in Calgary, and it's largely about networking in the Canadian biotech community (which by some cynical arguments I've heard is the only real thing you learn with an MBA as well :P ) I'm told you can focus your practicums on either the business or the research side of things, and that experience and connections is probably what will determine how usefull the degree is to you.

I don't know how it might benefit an MD application, short of just being another degree you hold. Having it and an MD may prove usefull in the long run if your apptitudes run towards commercializaton aspects of health science.

Guest yeast invertase

Lurker,

I too have been contemplating applying to the MBT (not the joint one) program at Calgary (albeit, I would be applying two years from now if I were to apply). A few questions:

When you mean competitive, are you referring to the program in general, or just the joint MBA-MBT? If so, how competitive are we talking? I know the min is a 3.2/4.0 cumulative last 2 years plus your refs, but given that you know a few people who are in, what would be considered competitive?

Are the people you know happy they've done the program? Regardless of whether they still want meds or not? Was it worth it to them?

Thanks in advance,

YI

Guest Lurkergonepublic

Well the people I knew in it when through a couple of years ago, and they were all leaning towards the business side of things. They certainly seemed to enjoy it - they took a business focus, but still learned alot about biotech. It was the joint program that they were in.

I can't help you much as far as GPAs - the people I knew going into it were older, and coming from some biotech work experience (one was a veternarian from India). When I suggest it's competitive I mean that they only take a handful of students per year (I think a couple of years a go it was less than 25, but that may have changed). I really don't know how many people apply, but I suspect it is reasonably competative, and I think a lot of applicants are also med applicants. I'm afraid if you need any more info you'll have to check with the program, as I really don't have too much that's current about it.

Archived