Premed 101 Forums

UBC medical awards and bursaries?

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I was wondering if some UBC folks could shed some light on the awards and bursaries that are available to UBC medical students. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place, but I checked out the relevant link from the Admissions webpage, but it seems that the awards and bursary pages are not too medico-specific and geared more towards fresh, non-medical undergraduate students (good for them!).

Does UBC offer any funding or awards opportunities for their medical school students? For example, are smaller research awards available for students who choose to work on projects during the years of medical school?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Makunouchi

Hi,

I'm not too sure on general awards and bursaries, but I believe there is a summer student research program offered. Maybe someone with more info can comment?

Guest not rex morgan

I know of a few who did research on the side and got paid. I believe in order to get hired for these positions, you have to be on financial aid, but otherwise, the hiring is pretty open. We also get UBC Winter Bursaries, and the allocation philosophy of those funds is a bit cryptic. One thing that is certain, is that you have to max your students loan, and have a need on top of that. The amount of your bursary is based on your excess need. Students who are married, with a working spouse were often inelligable due to the amount of money their spouse made. For the singletons in the class, some of us got a maximum bursary, and some didn't, and none of us are entirely too sure why.

There are also scholarships handed out in second-year, for your performance in first year. The amount you get is based on how high your grades were. There also seemed to be a corrolation between how high your grades were and when you got the money.

There is also the student research money for the summer, and they actively seek out participation in that. If you are not getting emails about it by X-mas, check that your email is working. Valuable experience, though. I would highly recommend it. Get to the office early to check out the projects, if you want your pick. I know I got my pick and for the next month I heard from other students "there was this great project, but someone already got it." ;)

Archived