Premed 101 Forums

francophone applicants

Guest vhochla

Guest vhochla

Recently, I was told that OttawaU had a separate applicant pool for those who speak French. I would like to lean more about this; I am from the states, but I have studied French intensively for 8-9 years and am about to go to France to teach English at the University level. I think that I would do well in such an applicant pool, if it exists. Does anyone know about this?

Guest wassabi101

Salut!

Yes of course it exists! I am in the francophone stream of about 40 students. Most of our classes are in French, and all our group projects (PBL, as well as clinic) and all our clerkships are in French. Check it up on the Ottawa U website (link from the Ottawa page)!

Cheers,

wassabi

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest satsumargirl

Hey,

I am in the francophone program. It isn`t just for Ontarians as there are students in my class from Alberta, New Brunswick, Manitoba, Québec....

However, I don`t know about US residents/citizens...I guess the same out of country procedures apply to both programs and I am not sure Ottawa accepts non-canadian residents/citizens unless your parents are alumni. And I am also not sure how the cut-off changes if you are francophone from another country.

Ottawa has alot of different cut-offs based on their affirmative action plans, so if you are anglophone from Ottawa the cut-off is lower than if you are anglo from anywhere else in Ontario which is lower than the cut-off if you are out of province (but the 2 are pretty close it seems). They have lower cut-offs if you are from an underserviced area etc... I am not sure if the francophone cut-off is different if you are from Ottawa, from the rest of Ontario or from out of province....I guess it would depend on how big the applicant pool is.

You could contact the school directly and see how being from the US affects your eligibility.

Archived