Premed 101 Forums

How do they figure...?

Guest Talon01

Guest Talon01

I've really begin to wonder how they decide post-interview who to accept?

Some of the questions I have are the following:

A) Do they consider GPA? If so, how so? I know that people from underserviced areas don't need as high a GPA or people from the Ottawa area. Seeing the list they emailed around with the interview invites it seems a majority of the first years are from Ottawa. Is there a preference?

B) Do they just look at how your performed on the interview and if there's a tie they use your GPA or do they rank you via GPA and use the interview as a tie? If GPA is used, see question A) above.

Thank you!

Guest Talon01

Also, does anyone know for sure how the interviews are scored? Do they 3 of them agree on a 1-10 score or are there a variety of subscales they score on?

Guest diakonos

From what I heard (so don't take my word on it, but I'm hoping someone will confirm this):

- once you hit the interview everyone is equal regardless of their marks

- you get a score at the interview (out of 4 I believe...sorta like a GPA scale)

- if there is a tie they use GPA to decide order

Anybody wanna confirm?

Getting real tired of the wait...:|

Guest Talon01

If everyone is 'equal' why when you look at the list of students willing to answer questions (in the package they emailed you) most of them list Ottawa as their hometown?

Guest cmitchelca

from what I have been told from med students (who said that they weren't 100% sure either) going into the interview, everyone is on the same level. Everyone who interviews gets a score out of 4 (then going down in .25 increments 3.75, 3.5,3.25, etc.). Then, based on interview score, people are grouped together (ie. everyone who got a 4 is put together, everyone with a 3.75, etc). Then, within a group, they rank people by GPA.

So, basically, at this point, it's based on your interview score. If you get a 4 on the interview, you're guaranteed admission (since only ~30 people got a 4 a few years ago). The only point where GPA comes into play is if they are at the interview score that contains the cutoff # of people.

Guest tim23

Talon: I've heard everyone is equal as well, i think most people are from Ottawa because they interview the most people from Ottawa, also OOP people (I dunno about other ontario applicants) have to be very competitive and may get multiple acceptances- I don't think Ottawa is a lot of those applicant's first choice, they said last year they got thru 250 people to fill 96 spots i believe.

Guest mm201

They way I understood the odds are even better. They make 123 offers and then go down the waiting list 200 to 250 people to fill these 123 spots. This means that 64-75% of interviewed poeople will get an offer at one time or another from U of O.

Guest caliente

I think the numbers should be a bit better in our favour. I assume "declined" only refers to those people who received an official offer from the school and then declined. It doesn't include the people who voluntarily withdraw from Ottawa after receiving an offer from another school, or those who are automatically withdrawn from the waitlist in July (I think).

Basically, although only ~190 offers were actually made, the school may have gone to the 200-250th position on their ranked waitlist.

This is what I am CHOOSING to believe, anyways!! :D

Guest avarrin2001

Caliente,

I think you are right. Last weekend in the info session Nicole explained that they do usually go through about 200 offers. This is because many of the people in the first 123 are accepted to more than one school and chose somewhere else, and then they continue into the waitlist for about 100 more people. This is the reason they have the "good" waitlist and the "bad" waitlist. The good waitlist means you are in the top ~200-250 and that there is a good chance that you will hear good news from the school. The "bad" waitlist means you are in the bottom ~250 and are unlikely to get a position. Everyone who doesnt get an acceptance (those left on both the good and bad lists) will receive a final rejection letter at the end of August, or as soon as the class is filled. No one gets a rejection letter until the class is filled, so if you had an interview, you are on a waitlist. The important thing is *which* waitlist.

The way to know which list you are on will come in the email on May 31. The bad list will have an extra line attached saying that due to your position on the waitlist, you are encouraged to find alternate plans for September. Other than this line, the two letters (for good and bad waitlists) are identical.

Guest ttryit

Despite the detailed statistical analysis (which can be used to support almost any hypothesis at this point) there are only two truths:

1. Chances are greater than or equal to 123/500 or 25%. How much greater is ANYONE's guess!!

2. The next 49 days are going to be very long ones!

Take care everyone!

tt

In my year 2007, the method was interview score and WGPA as a tiebreaker. For the 2008's, and 2009's (who find out May31st!) the method is 90% interview score and 10% WGPA and French language capabilities as the tie breaker in the anglophone stream.

Hope this helps,

g22g

edited: reduced the interview score

Guest tim23

g22g, thats not what they told us at the presentation, they said GPA was only a tiebraker, are you sure about your info? (maybe that starts next year or something)

Tim

Guest wannabdoc

i think it was Nicole who said at the presentation that the tie breaker was going to be WGPA. But I have heard both stories and who knows what goes on behind closed doors. I am thinking its 70% interview, 10% WGPA, 10% french language, and another 10% LUCK. Does anyone agree with me?

(caution: the above remarks may not be factual and your admission may or maynot depend upon those figures.)

By the way, I am taking courses at Ottawa U as a special student that are not considered towards any degree. Its just for me to get back into the academic lifestyle since I have been working professionally for some time. I think I bombed my final and was wondering how will that affect my chances of acceptance after I have been interviewed at Ottawa?

Thanks to anyone that replies.

I confirmed with the admissions office:

For the 2008's, and 2009's the method is 90% interview score and 10% WGPA. In theory the WGPA is a tie breaker because it (guess what) breaks a tie of people with the same 4.00 or 3.75 interview composite (there are no divisions between the two numbers. Then the French language capabilities is the final tie breaker in the anglophone stream for those that happen to have the same interview score and WGPA.

Hope this helps,

g22g

Guest medeng

so I've been wondering about this for a couple of days now, how g22g has proposed this 90/10 split interview/gpa, and there was no mention of from Nicole Racine at the info session... So, being the geek that I am, I worked out some numbers, basically the 90/10 is just a way to accomplish the rank by interview score then gpa that Nicole explained...

Anyway, if you assume the lowest GPA is 3.6 (which is roughly the Ottawa cutoff) a 3.6 at one int. score is higher than a 4 at the int. score one below using this weighting... So really these two explanations are equivalent...

interview scores across the top (I don't know how low they go, I just went down to 2.5) and GPA down the side

_ __        |4.00        3.75        3.50        3.25        3.00        2.75        2.50

4.00        |4.00        3.78        3.55        3.33        3.10        2.88        2.65

3.95        |4.00        3.77        3.55        3.32        3.10        2.87        2.65

3.90        |3.99        3.77        3.54        3.32        3.09        2.87        2.64

3.85        |3.99        3.76        3.54        3.31        3.09        2.86        2.64

3.80        |3.98        3.76        3.53        3.31        3.08        2.86        2.63

3.75        |3.98        3.75        3.53        3.30        3.08        2.85        2.63

3.70        |3.97        3.75        3.52        3.30        3.07        2.85        2.62

3.65        |3.97        3.74        3.52        3.29        3.07        2.84        2.62

3.60        |3.96        3.74        3.51        3.29        3.06        2.84        2.61

OK, back to real work now... :)

Archived