Premed 101 Forums

Deferral option?

Guest Iguazu03

Guest Iguazu03

I'm doing my first year of my Masters and I'm thinking about the pros/cons of deferring by a year (if I get accepted) to finish my Masters. Is there any benefit to having a Masters degree before starting medicine?

Sorry Iguazu03 but I'm gonna piggy back a question off yours.. how open is Ottawa to deferrals? Either a masters, or a PhD, or for someone in 3rd year to stay and finish up their degree?

I remember reading "exceptional circumstances".. but how exceptional? :P

After some issues of abuse, in the last two years they have tightened down on deferals.

Now it has to be something like pregnancy or illness to get one.

Research has been removed from the list of good reasons to get a deferral because either you are in a position to nearly get the degree (where you could patch up the writing during your first year of Med school) or you aren't even close (and therefore there was a lack of perception and maybe honesty in your graduate supervisor).

For those that didn't go through the graduate subcommittee then you can still polish your degree up in the summers to follow (a master's student in our class is defending his thesis in two weeks).

Btw. Once you are on the acceptance category the admissions office we be super interested in listening to your particular situation.

Cheers,

g22g

Archived