Premed 101 Forums

Housing

Guest gobluebaby

Hi GoBlueBaby,

There is a list of housing availabilities that is compiled before the offers are sent out, and they should have been included in your package. If you didn't receive it, then you should email Denis or Nicole, and they can send you one electronically. Most second year students are good at noting advantages and disadvantages of different living arrangements and areas.

Cheers and congratulations again,

EJL

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wassabi101

Hmm, good question :D

The health-sciences campus (not the main campus) is attached to the General Hospital-Children's hospital-Rehab Center-Complex on Smyth Road, in the Ottawa-South District (that's the voting riding at least :P )

You could also say that it's part of the Alta-Vista Area and the Pixley/Renova District.

It all depends on whether you want to live close-by to the school, or if you don't mind commuting. I would recommend, if you have the time and enjoy walking, to come to Ottawa, and starting from the school, walk to the various areas around the med school, to see if you like what you see and what the market's like. You can pick up a newspaper and a map, and check out the signs, as well as visit apartment buildings to find out about vacancies.

I'm sure there's already a post about this last year, but the main areas that students in our class our living are:

1) Alta-Vista Area (streets off of Pleasant Park, Fairbanks, and on Alta-Vista itself): mostly semi-detached homes, some apt. buildings

2) Pixley & Renova Area (these streets and others): mostly semi-detached homes

3) Riverside drive: a block of apartment buildings- these get rented out really quickly!

4) Elmvale and Canteburry Areas

5) Lees apartment buildings

Further away from the school:

6) Sandy Hill area (downtown)

7) Glebe area

8) on the Quebec side- cheaper apt's and semi-detached in Hull and Gatineau

Hope this helps!

Feel free to email me if you have any specific housing questions. I'll be around most of June and July!

Cheers,

wassabi

Guest wassabi101

Conrad,

So now I get your question- you're referring specifically to the zones as advertised on off-campus housing?

I called off-campus housing and they told me these 'zones' were created by using postal codes and trying to limit the number of zones to 8. As such, there is some overlap between their 'zones' and actual districts.

Zone 1 includes downtown, Sandy Hill and also Lees

Zone 6 includes Ottawa South, Alta-Vista areas, Renova & Pixley, but also all the way to Hunt Club (which is really far from the school)

Zone 3 would include areas like Riverside

These are the three zones that are closest to the school- although they also include areas that aren't very close either. I would recommend getting a map of Ottawa and searching for street name of the off-campus availabilities to make sure you're not all the way out in Hunt Club if you're really trying to live close by.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

wassabi

Guest conrad78

Thanks Wassabi! I'm definitely looking for an apartment within a 5-10 minute walk of the school. I'm hoping to find a 1 bedroom apartment with reasonable rent. Are there any specific rental agencies are websites I can contact? I found tons of apartments online but its really hard to tell how close they are to the med school.

Guest wassabi101

Hey Conrad,

If you want to be within walking distance, the closest is the Renova/Pixley area (5 min walk). Those are usually advertised through the school (from students looking for roomates) or in the newspaper. They're a bunch of semi-detached townhouses that some people buy and then rent out rooms or the whole apartment to students. I remember seeing some websites, but I only found those as advertised in the newspaper so I really don't know any off hand.

A good area that you might be able to find several websites for, are the Riverside apartments (a block of 6 or 7 of them- some with different owners). They are though more of a 15-25 min walk.

Here's one of the websites: www.mintorentals.com/comm...rside.html

Are you planning on coming here for 2-3 days to search?

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

wassabi

Guest hacker

How frequent is the bus service from downtown (Main campus) to the health sciences complex? and is it free for UofO students ?

Thanx,

H

Guest hacker

How about the OC transpo. Does it run from main to smyth ? The free university shuttle that runs every 1 hour might not be very convenient for someone (assuming we all love sleep :D ) deciding to live in downtown..

Guest squeegy80

The OC Transpo definitely does run between campuses. It is the bus number 85 and runs about every 10-15 minutes at peak hours and anywhere between 15-30 minutes at non-peak hours. The route is also quite direct so you're not losing any time using this bus. So if you can afford bus tickets or even better a bus pass, this is definitely the more convenient option. I work at the hospital adjoining the secondary U of O campus and I always take the 85 instead of the shuttle to go between school and work.

If you're living dowtown away from campus the 85 also runs along the main bus route in the downtown area. You can check out the map and schedule at the octranspo.com website.

squeegy

Guest conrad78

Thanks for the help Wassabi! But I guess I won't be needing it anymore. Received my acceptance letter from Dal today!!! YIppie!!!

Archived