Premed 101 Forums

Accepted?!?

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Bleepo

Hey 604EL, what made you decide to go to UBC rather than Ottawa? I'm stuck in the same position and I'm having trouble deciding between the two. I was leaning more towards Ottawa tho, with the laptop curriculum, the smaller class, the reserved self-study afternoons and the uncertainty regarding this expansion project at UBC. What are your thoughts on this? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tutifruiti

Hi!

I remember being addicted to that site at the time when I applied and waited an answer from UO. I wanted to say Congratulations to everyone who got their golden letter and who will be part of the MEDS08 class! you have achieved a huge step in the realization of your life dream. The study of medicine is really exciting, challenging and intellectually rewarding: you will love it (maybe not after the first year of meds, but after 2 years (once you would have had a good overview of all fields in medicine), I bet you'll truly understand the incredible opportunity you were given when the school announced your acceptance!!

For those who are still waiting, I wish you the best of luck and would like to advice you not to rationalize the circumstances: ei interview performance, slacking Canada post service, etc... Doing it would only increase your already high stress (built up during all these months of wait). In the past I believe most people (if not all) who were on the "good waiting list" would eventually receive an offer. I also believe some people from the "bad" waiting list got in too in the past (don't quote me though). Instead of worrying why not hoping!?!

I would be glad to answer any of your questions if I can help. I am in the francophone MEDS06 class. I am a Quebecker, did CEGEP and 2 years of undergrad. medicinemanxyz (-at-) hotmail.com

have a good summer

mr T!!!

Guest 604EL

Hey Bleepo~

Actually, I've always wanted to stay here in vancouver, I even told the interviewers at Ottawa. My reason is simple, and might be stupid, but the reason why I want to stay at ubc is because the cost would be much lower. I can live at home, which would reduce the cost of living quite a bit. Also, I personally feel that both ubc and u of ottawa are equally great schools, and I'm not too much into the whole which school is ranked higher and better and all that blah blah... I think the matching rates are pretty even across all canadian med schools, especially since I'm looking into family practice (btw, correct me if i'm wrong if anyone knows more info on this). With regards to the doubts and uncertainties about the expansion, I know what you mean. I thought about that too. But I think as long as you get into the main campus at ubc, the curriculum and the way of learning would be the same as before. Of course except that we'll be in brand new building... yeh! I don't know if I answered your question at all Bleepo... but this is just what I think and how I made my decision.

Guest csname

Hey all, I'm back from New York from my "non-canadian" medical school interview. I had a wonderful time. The interviewers were so damn nice. They can definitely teach a thing or two to canadian med school interviewers (I hope I'm not offending anyone but this is my sincerest opinion).

There's no concept of good cop vs. bad cop. They don't interrogate you but rather chat with you and get to know YOU as a person, what YOU have done in the past few years, YOUR achievements, YOUR learning experiences, what made YOU decide to pursue medicine, you get the point, the interview is about YOU and YOU only. and not mayer juliani, or prime minister paul martin, or saddam hussien and his buddy George W. Bush. its not about hypothetical 12 years olds asking you for abortion, or a 35 year old man asking you not to reveal to his wife his HIV status, its not about asking you what 3 books will you take with you if you were stranded on a desert, or what 3 people will you have your last dinner with. I mean c'mon where do they come up with these silly questions. I know, I know they are trying to "pshyce us out", see how we handle "stress", see what our "political views" are and the list goes on... You can tell me a lot of things to justify the way canadian interviewers ask questions, but all I know is that there are better ways to get to know people. All I can say is that I enjoyed talking with my New York interviewers (i can't say that for my interviews in canada and most peeps will agree with me), I came out feeling good about myself, they actually give you encouraging compliments like "you are a very mature candidate for someone at your age", or "you're definitely the cream of the interview pool".

Anyways, I hope I'm not sounding like a disgruntled candidate because I'm not. I am sincerely happy for those who got in already. and wish the very best of luck for those on the good waitlist. I was on it last year but didn't get the call.

By the way, are the bad waitlist letters sent out the same day as good waitlist letters. I got my good waitlist letter last time on monday, but haven't got anything this time. Man, could this be a bad thing...

:(

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there csname,

It's great to hear that you had at least one good interview experience, no matter whether it was in the US or here. :)

I believe that all the waitlist letters were sent simultaneously as I received my "bad" waitlist letter today.

Best of luck,

Kirsteen

Guest allycat03

Kirsteen,

I am so sorry to hear that you were bad waitlisted. I was following the news to check if you had gotten in because I really felt like you deserved it. I know you have applied to other schools, so best of luck there!

Ally

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Ally,

Thanks. :) Out of all my interviews I felt like a small bit of a train wreck (most especially at the beginning) in the Ottawa interview. It was by far my worst, but at least it appears that I've got a fairly valid gauge for determining my interview outcomes from their respective performances. :)

Did you apply this year? If so, how is it all going for you?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest shudvbeenafarmer

Hi Kirsteen,

That is all I have to say really. Totally their loss.

As are most of the visitors to this board, I'm rooting for you big big big time! :D - You will make the most amazing doc.

Farmer

Guest allycat03

Hey Kirsteen,

Yeah I was interviewed at University of Montreal. Mine lasted 10 minutes! Unfair but that is life, I didn't get in. I also was invited to the TAAMUS, the University of Sherbrooke for 25 % of the admissions process (instead of an interview) it's a multiple personality test (questions like " do you laugh a dirty jokes") because 75% of the admission was based on grades, and I was one of the last people invited for this test, I knew I wasn't getting in there. It's hard right now, I'm a bit angry at myself because of the University of Montreal interview, I should have said something like " I don't think you have enough information on me to make an informed decision". It's clearly stated in protocole that the individual interview is supposed to last 40-45 minutes. So I'm depressed. What can I say, it's hard to be happy in my position.

Archived