Premed 101 Forums

How far back? Non-Academic Exp.

Guest Elle

Guest McCarey007

Just use your discretion. Most of what you talk about "should" be more recent stuff. By all means talk about what happened when you were a child. Just don't make this the main focus of your extra curriculars. IE if you did lots of sports in high school, but stopped cold turkey in university, you might want to lighten up on your involvement in high school. Otherwise it just begs interviewers to ask you why you stopped.

By all means... If you have done high school sports, put them in! Those are Gold. Even if you didn't continue the sport in University I'm sure you could explain it easily (ie, "I needed to concentrate on my studies").

Phil

Guest McCarey007

Yes, definately put high school sports in. But what I meant was you want to maintain balance in your application. Pick more salient features from your "distant" past. ...just my opinion.

I don't think there's a limit as to how far back you can list your experiences. Obviously, something that you did in grade 1 may not be as relevant as something that you just did within the last few years. Just use your best judgment in gauging what's appropriate.

Archived