Premed 101 Forums

Essay length

Guest Ollie

Hi again,

What are people finding is the max. characters for the essay. It says in the instructions that the max length is 118 lines with 83 characters per line. To me, that adds up to almost 9800 characters (including spaces), but I'm getting cut-off around 8000. What's the deal??

Guest Lactic Folly

The problem could be that they are going by lines and characters per line, while you are going by characters only.. For example, if you have a paragraph that is 93 characters long, it will take up the space of two lines, so you'll have to subtract 83 x 2 characters from your total (hope this makes sense).

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Conversely, I had an essay of ~8800 characters that, last night, fit into the UBC essay page without incident. However, after a morning re-edit with a couple of extra sentences it's now officially over the top. :rolleyes It's tough to say exactly how long the essay should be. It can work wonders to slot it into the application, though, and play around with it.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest soapyslicer

Hi guys,

Switch to Courier font prior to cutting and pasting and you will have less errors and a more accurate count. Not sure why, was told by admissions.

Soapy

Archived