Premed 101 Forums

Provincial differences in student loans??

Guest Kels2004

Guest Kels2004

Hi - I was just wondering whether the provinces had major differences in their maximum provincial/federal loan amounts?

I will be at UBC this fall, but am an AB resident... Looking on the UBC page it seems like people have a max of $10 725 or so - I applied through AB and seem to have a max of almost double that. What have other people found in their provinces?

Thanks

Guest aneliz

Each province runs their own show...so the maximum amounts available in each is much different.

The max in Ontario is ~$11 000 per year....so it seems that BC is similar to that. Alberta tends to give more...Quebec gives out grants rather than loans...

There is nothing even close to a 'universal' amount across Canada...each province is very different.

Guest lothya

I was approved for ~$18 000 this year in Quebec. Though the maximum loan that I can carry is capped at $30 000 total (for all the years I am in school) acccording to my notice...

(This may be because I am applying as a graduate student still enrolled in another program. I believe/hope loan limits are different for undergrads .. I expect this limit will change once I've finished my master's -- else my third year is going to get a bit tricky!)

Guest cutieyellow

The max loan is capped at 30 000, meaning that out of those 18 000, there's only about ~7000 or so that's actual loan. Bursary money doesn't count in that 30K. Therefore, i think you'll be ok for the next few years.

After two years of med (well, starting my second but loans/bursary already counted i mean), i've only burrowed ~10 000, everything else being given to me as bursary, therefore, i'm fine for the last two years.

Btw, i don't know how your situation is -med/masters therefore more money?- but Quebec loans/bursary only gave me ~ 13 000, and this was without any contribution from my part...they do expect me to live on this much :)

CY

Guest avisee

Oh man.. bursaries? I didn't think provinces did those any more!

It's not surprising that the provinces with the highest tuition (BC and Ont) also give the lowest amounts in loan money - even though your costs are guaranteed to be higher (not to mention, costs of living). And this is LOAN money we're talking about. Not even a gift. How ironic.

• 1 year later...

Archived