Premed 101 Forums

Moving tips

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I'm in the process of planning a cross-country move. Have any of you tried getting a quote from a moving company? Woah! It's a hugely expensive undertaking. :eek

In any case, while sniffing about for information, I came across a good set of moving tips and moving checklist on the United Van Lines site. Even if you're not planning a big cross-country move in the near future, these might come in handy at some point:

www.uvl.ca/movetips.htm

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest soapyslicer

Hi Kirsteen,

When I moved across the country several years ago I piggy backed my move with another one. As long as you are flexible as to the date your stuff arrives, and of course you don't fill the truck yourself you can cut costs dramatically. I had to ask about the option as they don't usually mention it.

Hope everything else is falling into place for you.

soapy

Guest nextstopmd

Thanks Kirsteen! That is a handy little reference chart that reminded me of a few things I'm sure I would have forgotten to do til the last minute!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

soapy: thanks very much for that tip. I might see if I can do that as the costs via the "regular" route are horrendous. Good luck with your home-hunt in PG. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest md23

hi all,

has anyone shipped a car accross country? any idea on the cheapest way to do it, if it is at all economical? thanks,

md23

Guest Ticket

Last year my pals moved form Ottawa to BC. The moving company was going to move their car by VIA rail, so they skipped the moving company for their cars, and contacted VIA themselves. They packed their car full, and I think it cost them $800 per car.

I hope that helps.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

has anyone shipped a car accross country? any idea on the cheapest way to do it, if it is at all economical?
I'll be shipping my car, and I contacted two organizations for quotes: 1) the freight company used and recommended by my car dealership; 2) the moving company (affiliated with United Van Lines) who may be moving the contents of my flat. The former offered a quote of ~$800 (incl. insurance) plus taxes. The latter offered a quote of $600 incl. insurance and taxes. The moving company noted that a cross-Canada car move will generally come in at ~$800, but they can make lower offers to clients who also move their home contents simultaneously. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Nops

I sent a Corolla from Edmonton to Fredericton last summer. It cost me ~$1000, but I know the price varies by vehicle make/model/year.

It took 21 days (!) to get to the other end (they told me 10-15 days, but that was the RAIL portion or the journey -- they flatbedded it from Halifax to Fredericton, and they didn't include the three or four days it sat in the railyard in Edmonton before they loaded it.

In addition, they let me put whatever I wanted inside, but I had to sign a waiver of responsibility -- they do NOT insure the contents. CDs, loose change, stuff like that tends to go missing . . . .

Just some caveats for those considering it. I was so miffed at not having a car for three weeks (I flew out), I vowed I'd never ship a vehicle again, even if it means a looonnnngggg cross-country drive.

Bil :evil

Guest Elaine I

My dad was approached a few years back to work for a company that would hire people to drive cars across the country for you. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the company, but an internet search might turn it up. I believe it was cheaper than shipping your car. Drivers are bonded. My dad was approached (like many of his colleagues), because he is a retired police officer.

Alternatively, if you know somebody retired who you trust, it might be worth offering them a return airline ticket to drive your car for you. At the price of flights these days, that option might be cheaper. It seems like a win-win arrangement, in that it would be cheaper to get your car that way, and the driver would get a relatively cheap vacation.

Elaine

Guest Koppertone

Or alternatively you could just drive your car. Depending on your destination it could take upwards of 6-7 days, but I think it'd be worth it just to see all of Canada. When I was planning on moving to Manitoba from BC, I was going to just drive my car there b/c with gas and hotel it still wouldn't be as expensive as having a company move it and I'd get to go through three provinces. I kind of miss the idea of the half cross Canada trip now, I was really looking forward to it!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Koppertone,

Thanks for the suggestion. :) I'd love to have the time for a cross-Canada trip, alas...

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
Hi there,

I'm in the process of planning a cross-country move. Have any of you tried getting a quote from a moving company? Woah! It's a hugely expensive undertaking. :eek

In any case, while sniffing about for information, I came across a good set of moving tips and moving checklist on the United Van Lines site. Even if you're not planning a big cross-country move in the near future, these might come in handy at some point:

www.uvl.ca/movetips.htm

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey Kirsteen,

My experience with north american movers was a very smooth move and everybody was very kind. It was a good experience.

Your moving quotes should be free?

Jason

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Well, six years ago prices for gas/transportation were very different, not to mention inflation. Gas is at least $1/gallon more than it was back then and these moving trucks get probably less than 10mpg, so if you take all that into consideration your long distance move will logically be much more expensive.

In any case, at the time I used them my company paid for it so I don't even remember what the total came out to. I just meant to say that the experience was good, as in they didn't break anything, they were on time, respectful, etc.

Archived