Premed 101 Forums

bursaries - discussion topic

Guest bursary question

Guest bursary question

For many bursaries/scholarships, including at med school, existing debt load is taken into consideration when evaluating financial need.

I chose a university close to home so I could live on the cheap with my parents, and worked part-time to avoid being in debt at graduation. Should I now be disadvantaged for bursaries because I worked hard and made sacrifices?

you have less financial need, so you don't qualify for as much bursary. you should feel good about your sense of responsibility.

Guest Liana

Yeah, sucks, doesn't it?

Makes you seriously question a system that gives you more free money the less you work. I realized in high school when I was denied an automatic UG entrance bursary that I would have been wiser to reward myself with a trip or a shopping spree, rather than stupidly saving all of my money.

Guest shkelo

There was a new incentive student loan program that started in Alberta as of last year. In a nut shell, for a first-time, first-year loans applicant, total debt load is $5000 and anything above and beyond $5000 (up to $11,000) is non-repayable. For final year applicants, total debt load is reduced to $20,000 in a one-time completion payment. Who says going to school doesn't pay?

Check it out for yourself. www.learning.gov.ab.ca/co...amples.asp Gotta love Alberta!!

• 3 years later...

Archived