Premed 101 Forums

eligibility for OSAP

Guest OSAP applicant

Guest OSAP applicant

Hi, I was accepted into a medical school and I'm trying to apply online for OSAP. However, it requires me to submit my parents income, which is in a middle-upper class bracket, which i think will hinder my chances of getting any money.

How can i explain on my application that they will not be contributing too much to my tuition, and that I am basically independent??

Thanks

Guest JSS02

I don't think there's any way around that. I think that until you're 5 years out of high school, at which point you're considered independent, your parents income would count against you, regardless of how much (or little) they decide to contribute. So if you've just finished 4 years of undergrad, you'd have to wait another year, and if finished 3 years, you'd need to wait 2 more years before getting all the OSAP you're "entitled" to.

I was in the same boat as you were, and had to include my parents income on my osap application for the fall. My parents income had made me ineligable for osap during my undergrad, but because med school tuition is sooooo much higher then undergrad, I did qualify for osap (and quite a bit of it)....so my advice to you is that it never hurts to apply, and depending what school you are attending in the fall, some bursuries require that you have at least applied to osap

Hope that helps :)

Guest AniyaSG

I was told by Financial Aid folks that OSAP will only consider a maximum of $4500 in tuition. Our exorbitant med school tuition (due to their decision to deregulate) is therefore not considered when they calculate loan amounts. Sucks.

Guest UofCMeds2005

I am pretty sure they do consider huge tutition costs... I just recently applied for osap and I got a HUGE sum of money! I have gotten osap throughout undergrad, but no where near this much. Therefore, they had to have taken into account tuition etc.... I can't be sure, but ...

Guest Asystole

I also thought that the sky-high tuition would factor into the OSAP equation. But according to the OMA website AniyaSG is exactly right, OSAP only allows for $4500/yr tuition (my undergrad was more than that!). I am applying anyway but I am not hopeful. If anyone is looking for the info that I referred to, it is under Bursaries where there is a lot of discussion aimed at convincing OMA members to donate to the bursary plan.

I think this is a clear indication that the OSAP system needs a little reworking. BTW how much is tuition at U of C these days, I thought it was pretty cheap by Ont. standards.

Guest aneliz

I don't think it is the tuition difference that got you more money - more likely the difference in school year length. In the OSAP application you enter the number of weeks that the program lasts. For meds it can be anywhere from about 40-52 weeks depending on what school you are going to. In undergrad, the semesters were a lot shorter so the number of 'weeks' per year that you were a student were less.... therefore you are entitled to less money as an undergrad because you theoretically have more time off to work and make money....

Just my 2 cents....

• 3 years later...

Archived