Premed 101 Forums

How will the new Aurora system affect people applying?

Guest ConfusedStudent

Guest ConfusedStudent

So this comming fall term, the new aurora system will be implmented.

One of the most intresting things about it is: "If a course is repeated, or if an equivalent course is subsequently taken, the last attempt only will count in the GPA. Limited Access is no longer in effect"

So what does this mean for students who plan on retaking a course, but want to apply?

I tried emailing the admissions team but I haven't recieved a reply in over a month :(

Guest sunE

Seems pretty self explanatory in your quote to me.

If you are planning on applying in the fall of 2006, and are still scheduled to "re-take" a course you have already completed (but didn't do so well), they will wait for your final marks to come in at the end of the year, just like they do now.

This is why they don't let you know if you are accepted/rejected/waitlisted until after winter term marks are finalized and given to the admissions committee.

To my understanding that's how it works right now, maybe I'm wrong?

Guest ConfusedStudent

Currently @ the U of M, if you retake a course, both marks are left on your transcript, except you just retook the course.

So say you took a 6 credit hour course twice, it would count as taking 2 seprate 6 credit hour courses. So when you are applying for U of M med, both attempts (therefore both marks) are going to be counted...I already asked about that and that was the answer I was given.

But that was the old system, I'm still trying to figure it out with the new system...does that make sense?

Guest sunE

"If a course is repeated, or if an equivalent course is subsequently taken, the last attempt only will count in the GPA."

So earlier you said that about the aurora system. So let's assume you took a 6 credit course, twice. According to that quote above, they will only look at the 2nd time you do the course (even though both courses are there, they will look at the course which was taken last).

In most instances people will generally do better the 2nd time around, so the aurora system would actually be helping them out since the mark considered will not be an average of the two courses, but just the 2nd (and most probably higher mark).

BUT, if you re-take the course and got a worse mark, then the aurora system hurts you.

Guest sunE

And I am assuming they will only count one 6 credit hour course. Not double count the 6 credit course.

Seems like they would just throw the first attempt (mark and associated credit hours) out the window.

Guest ConfusedStudent
And I am assuming they will only count one 6 credit hour course. Not double count the 6 credit course.

Yea, but you can't assume that. I'm trying to find out which is the case, if they will countinue to double count the 6 credit hour course, or just count the last attempt.

I got a reply from a science advisor (not the medical admissions) and they said they believe medicine still will double count, because that's how they calculate AGPA...but to contact Medicine admissions for better information

I guess I'll just email again.

Guest daryn

What if I took course A and got a bad mark (but still passed) and then took course B, a harder version of course A (also a continuation of), and got a really good mark?

Archived