Premed 101 Forums

Emergency Residency (1 Year) After FM Residency

Guest MayFlower1

Guest MayFlower1

Can anybody shed some light on the additional year of emergency residency one can do after an FM residency? I'm interested in what this qualifies you to do in the ER...what your limitations are...how you are different than an individual who has done a residency in emergency medicine once you've completed your additional year...competitiveness of this option...and, finally, the process for applying.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Guest therealcrackers

Most of the emergency room doctors in rural communities are family docs without this additional training from back in the day... this extra year of training was meant to address that. At Western, there are 14 spots for the CCFP (EM) third year program, and usually about 30 applicants; this qualifies you to work as an ER primary care physician and do everything. It's done by applying in your second year of CCFP to the sites that offer the program (sorry, can't say if Ottawa offers it, but I think they do----check on that), and going through a residency interview. The big differences between CCFP and FRCPC at Western is the academic slant of the Royal College program, the number of positions available, and the time commitment involved; if you are planning on working in a teaching centre, it was suggested the FRCPC program is more likely to fulfill the hiring requirements of the hospital involved. The biggest difference would be your experience in emergency room procedures, most pointedly in major trauma, but that again will vary on the type of experience you get as a family med resident and where the EM training is. There may be some information on the CCFP or CPSO websites about this. Hope that helps; usual disclaimers apply.

Guest MayFlower1

therealcrackers,

Apparently Ottawa does offer this option. I would really like to pursue it...that is, of course, assuming I actually get into a medical school :b

Thanks for the info.

Peter

Archived