Premed 101 Forums

MSTP (MD/PhD) for Canadians

Guest Spencer

Guest Spencer

Hi Everyone,

After doing a little bit of research on the Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) in the U.S., I think that this might be a good way for me to combine my interests in clinical medicine as well as basic science together. I was wondering which MSTP programs in the U.S. regularly accept and fund Canadians. The only one I've come across is the combined MD/PhD program at Columbia University (in NYC). They have explicitly stated on their admissions page that they welcome international applicants (those without U.S. citizenship/permanent resident status)...and it also states that those who are accepted into the program will be funded as any other MSTP student. This means that tuition/school-related fees are all paid for by the university in addition to a ~$25000 USD annual living stipend. Is this unique to Columbia? Or do other schools have the same funding scheme for international students? My research so far has not been very encouraging. Most schools in the U.S. either do NOT provide MSTP funding for international students or they do not even address this issue on their admissions page. If you know of any schools that accept international MD/PhD applicants...it'd certainly be nice to know! Thanks in advance!

Spencer

• 2 years later...

I hope this helps: My good friend got accepted into Penn, Washington, and Northwestern for MSTP (yah he's ridiculous). I've also heard that Cornell and Yale have the same deal. All the schools are really competitive though.

Yale does not accept international students for MD/PhD (but Yale accepts MD students who are international and offers great financial aid).

Cornell did not have funding for international students this year (but this could change).

Penn, WUStL, Columbia, Harvard, Northwestern are the top schools with funding for international students.

no they are not. MSTP is medical scientist training program. It is not the same as a regular MD/PhD program. It is just more prestigious because of the title but in the end both lead to an MD and a PhD in the same allotted time. MSTP seats are NIH funded - that's why only US citizens/PR are allowed to apply for those seats. However some universities are able to take internationals because they have their own source of funding - so they can afford to have internationals filling up MSTP seats.

Archived